Hesitation to advertise one's own positive characteristcs. It seems to stem from the popular misconception that it is bad to be better than other people. I have never understood it. If someone is good at something, why should they conceal it from those around them, when it might be used to improve the world? Shouldn't we encourage and celebrate individuals who are talented instead of forcing them to act normal out of some twisted desire to not feel inferior?

Anyway, never hide what you're capable of, because it doesn't help anyone, especially not you.

Mod"es*ty (?), n. [L. modestia: cf. F. modestie. See Modest.]

1.

The quality or state of being modest; that lowly temper which accompanies a moderate estimate of one's own worth and importance; absence of self-assertion, arrogance, and presumption; humility respecting one's own merit.

2.

Natural delicacy or shame regarding personal charms and the sexual relation; purity of thought and manners; due regard for propriety in speech or action.

Her blush is guiltiness, not modesty. Shak.

Modesty piece, a narrow piece of lace worn by women over the bosom. [Obs.]

Addison.

Syn. -- Bashfulness; humility; diffidence; shyness. See Bashfulness, and Humility.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.