NFPA, or the National Fire Protection Association is an international, nonprofit group headquartered in Quincy, Massachusetts. The membership organization was founded in 1896. As of 2000 the NFPA's membership totals more than 69,000 individuals and at least 80 trade and professional organizations.

NFPA has led the way in technical and educational aspects of fire protection. They have produced over 300 timely consensus codes and standards for how we deal with fire protection.

Such codes include Fire Prevention Code (NFPA 1), the Life Safety Code® (NFPA 101), the National Electrical Code® (NFPA 70), and the National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54).

Educational items include Sparky the Fire Dog® and Fire Prevention Week. The newest addition to NFPA's public education product line is Risk Watch®, a comprehensive school-based curriculum that teaches children and their families how to protect themselves from unintentional injuries. NFPA's Center for High-Risk Outreach develops safety programs to reduce deaths and injuries, primarily from fires, burns, and falls, among high-risk populations: the very young, older adults, and the impoverished.

Some information courtesy of the NFPA website http://www.nfpa.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.