"Narwhal and Jelly" is a series of comic books or children books, first published in 2016 by Seattle-based cartoonist Ben Clanton. The books are basically children's picture books, with some parts of them in comic strip format. They feature around two characters: a narwhal and a jellyfish who become friends, along with assorted other sea creatures.

The stories are light and sweet, with a small amount of sass thrown in (when first meeting narwhal, jelly doesn't believe that narwhals are real). Obviously, basic facts of animal biology and behavior are ignored, as for example, our jellyfish has eyes and a mouth and talks, and a shark happily socializes with our narwhal. It also engages in some twee hipster humor: can you imagine if a waffle fought a robot? What if the waffle had the help of a monkey? The first book includes such a scene, and to me it is an example of how the "random" internet humor of the early 2000s has now worked itself into published works.

Not that I am complaining too much: this was cute and funny for me as an adult, and it would probably be even more absorbing for its intended audience. Even though this wasn't the best of its type I have ever seen, the series seems to be amusing enough.


https://www.narwhalandjelly.com/
http://www.benclanton.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.