user since
Sun Feb 23 2003 at 04:41:38 (21.2 years ago )
last seen
Fri Jan 1 2021 at 21:24:52 (3.3 years ago )
number of write-ups
71 - View nasreddin's writeups (feed)
level / experience
8 (Encyclopedist) / 3642
C!s spent
41
mission drive within everything
anamnesis
specialties
無爲
school/company
a cad, 'im, eh? ah!
motto
зри
most recent writeup
I'm beginning to think that nothing I think or say makes sense to anyone but me
Send private message to nasreddin

支離叔與滑介叔觀於冥伯之丘,崑崙之虛,黃帝之所休。俄而柳生其左肘,其意蹶蹶然惡之。支離叔曰:「子惡之乎?」滑介叔曰:「亡。予何惡?生者,假借也;假之而生生者,塵垢也。死生為晝夜。且吾與子觀化而化及我,我又何惡焉?」

Mr. Deformed and Mr. One-foot were looking at the mound-graves of the departed in the wild of Kun-lun, where Huang-Di had entered into his rest. Suddenly a tumour began to grow on their left wrists, which made them look distressed as if they disliked it. The former said to the other, 'Do you dread it?' 'No,' replied he, 'why should I dread it? Life is a borrowed thing. The living frame thus borrowed is but so much dust. Life and death are like day and night. And you and I were looking at (the graves of) those who have undergone their change. If my change is coming to me, why should I dislike it?'

之楚,見空髑髏,髐然有形,撽以馬捶,因而問之曰:「夫子貪生失理,而為此乎?將子有亡國之事,斧鉞之誅,而為此乎?將子有不善之行,愧遺父母妻子之醜,而為此乎?將子有凍餒之患,而為此乎?將子之春秋故及此乎?」於是語卒,援髑髏枕而臥。

Zhuangzi went to Chu, he saw an empty skull, bleached indeed, but still retaining its shape. Tapping it with his horse-switch, he asked it, saying, 'Did you, Sir, in your greed of life, fail in the lessons of reason, and come to this? Or did you do so, in the service of a perishing state, by the punishment of the axe? Or was it through your evil conduct, reflecting disgrace on your parents and on your wife and children? Or was it through your hard endurances of cold and hunger? Or was it that you had completed your term of life?' Having given expression to these questions, he took up the skull, and made a pillow of it when he went to sleep.

夜半,髑髏見夢曰:「子之談者似辯士。視子所言,皆生人之累也,死則無此矣。子欲聞死之說乎?」莊子曰:「然。」髑髏曰:「死,無君於上,無臣於下,亦無四時之事,從然以天地為春秋,雖南面王樂,不能過也。」莊子不信,曰:「吾使司命復生子形,為子骨肉肌膚,反子父母妻子、閭里、知識,子欲之乎?」髑髏深矉蹙頞曰:「吾安能棄南面王樂而復為人間之勞乎?」

At midnight the skull appeared to him in a dream, and said, 'What you said to me was after the fashion of an orator. All your words were about the entanglements of men in their lifetime. There are none of those things after death. Would you like to hear me, Sir, tell you about death?' 'I should,' said Zhuangzi, and the skull resumed: 'In death there are not (the distinctions of) ruler above and minister below. There are none of the phenomena of the four seasons. Tranquil and at ease, our years are those of heaven and earth. No king in his court has greater enjoyment than we have.' Zhuangzi did not believe it, and said, 'If I could get the Ruler of our Destiny to restore your body to life with its bones and flesh and skin, and to give you back your father and mother, your wife and children, and all your village acquaintances, would you wish me to do so?' The skull stared fixedly at him, knitted its brows, and said, 'How should I cast away the enjoyment of my royal court, and undertake again the toils of life among mankind?'
- Zhuangzi, Outer Chapters, Perfect Enjoyment (至樂)

User Bookmarks:

Sort by name Sort by date