NFL pro football franchise in the AFC Eastern Division. Plays its home games at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands.

The Jets were originally named the Titans, and were a charter member of the American Football League, which formed in 1959. The team played in the Polo Grounds from 1960-1963 and changed their name to the Jets in 1963. The team moved in 1964 to Shea Stadium in Queens.

Quarterback Joe Namath led the Jets to their only Super Bowl, a 16-7 upset of Baltimore in Super Bowl III in 1969. The Jets were one of the AFL teams that became part of the NFL when the leagues merged.

Since that time, the Jets have been one of the worst teams in the NFL, with decades of mediocrity. Advanced to the AFC Championship Game in 1983 and 1999, falling both times.

The Jets moved to Giants Stadium in 1984, and have often been ridiculed for playing home games in another team's stadium. There have been recent plans to develop a domed stadium on the west side of Manhattan, but nothing has been finalized.

Two Jets have had their uniforms retired by the team: Namath (#12) and wide receiver Don Maynard (#13). Both are members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.