Some facts about the Normande breed of cattle:

  • The Normande has its origin in the cattle Vikings left along the northern French coasts hundreds of years ago.
  • In the mid-1800s, some Shorthorns and Jerseys were mixed into the breed.
  • The present herdbook in France started in 1883.
  • During World War II many farms and livestock were destroyed, including herds of Normande cattle.
  • The Normande made a strong comeback. There are about 3 million Normande in France today.
  • There are also large herds in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Madagascar, and Spain.
  • The Normande is highly adaptable, cold tolerant, and hardy, doing well even in the Andes Mountains.
  • Normande cows are known for having an even disposition, good milk yields, and good mothering skills.
  • The cows are about 4 1/2 feet high at the withers and weigh on average about 1,650 pounds.
  • Bulls are about 5 feet high at the withers and weigh around 2,600 pounds.
  • Normande cattle are typically tri-colored. They have a white background with brown spots and yellow-brown spots.
  • They also have spots around their eyes, giving them a masked look.
  • The muzzle, ears, hoofs, and the skin under the spots are darker-colored.
  • In addition, they have a dished face, a large chest, and a long frame.
Most info found at www.crazyforcows.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.