1) A phrase meaning: Ooh I'll have another drink to fortify myself for the journey ahead.;

2) A very good idea that a couple of blokes had which solves the problem of what to do when you're in the pub and want to get pissed, but your car's parked outside. The solution is simple: You drink yourself stupid, then when you are about to fall over you phone One for the Road, tell them where you are, if you can remember that is, and they send a geezer round on a small scooter to get you. The nifty little 2-wheeler then folds up small enough to fit into your boot, whereupon Mr. One for the Road drives you home in the comfort of your own car. You pay the nice man some money, he unfolds his clever contraption and scoots off to rescue the next customer.

I think it's currently only available in London, but it's a lovely idea isn't it!

The saying One for the Road originates from the 12th Century. At one end of London's Oxford Street lies Marble Arch. From the 12th Century up until 1783, the Tyburn Gallows stood there, being a place where petty thieves, political prisoners and notorious criminals were hanged. One the way to the hanging, they were lead down the road which is now Oxford Street, but before they left they were allowed one last drink, which is where the saying comes from. In fact, Oxford Street's only pub, The Tottenham, is down the other end of the street, at the Tottenham Court Road end. Once the criminal had drunk their last drink, they were lead towards the gallows on a wagon, which is where the saying on the wagon comes from - i.e. they weren't allowed to drink any more.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.