Paolo Conte is an Italian singer/songwriter who plays the piano and kazoo. Born in Asti (home of Asti Spumanti Champagne) in the late 30she bgan playing the vibraphone in grade school. And later became a lawyer and painter

In the mid 60s he began having some success with other Italian artists covering his songs. In 1974 He began his own recording career.

He has a voice smothered in smoke, languid and cool, somewhat a bit like Tom Waits. He mixes American jazz, blues, Italian and French folk music with German cabaret and sings in English, Italian and French.

Largely unknown in the US he is well respected in Europe, especially in France and his native Italy.

He has only played a handful of times in the states including one concert in Boston, San Francisco and 3 or 4 in NYC, although he is raved about by both the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and the Village Voice.
Rolling Stone magazine said his 1998 American release "The Best of Paolo Conte" was one of the essential records of the year.

PAOLO CONTE (RCA-1974)
PAOLO CONTE (RCA-1975)
UN GELATO AL LIMON (RCA-1979)
PARIS MILONGA (RCA-1981)
APPUNTI DI VIAGGIO (RCA-1982)
PAOLO CONTE (CGD-1984)
CONCERTI live (CGD-1985)
AGUAPLANO (CGD-1987)
PAOLO CONTE LIVE (CGD-1988)
PAROLE D'AMORE SCRITTE A MACCHINA (CGD-1990)
STAI SERIA CON LA FACCIA MA PERĂ’ (Raccolta "All the Best") (BMG ARIOLA-1992)
900 (CGD-1992)
TOURNÉE live (CGD-1993)
UNA FACCIA IN PRESTITO (CGD-1995)
THE BEST OF PAOLO CONTE (CGD-1996)
THE BEST OF PAOLO CONTE (Nonesuch-1998 USA)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.