Philipoemen was a Greek general, born in Megalopolis sometime around 252 B.C., he spent his early years fighting as a mercenary in the wars of Crete.

In 209 B.C. he gained command of the Achaean cavalry, and used this force to defeat the Aetolians and Eleans in battle. The prestige and glory of these victories propelled him up the chain of command, and in 208 B.C. he was named General of the Achaean League.

The Greeks didn't rest back then, and he quickly found his people at war with Sparta, again. Spartans were nothing but trouble, and Philopoemen set about trying to take care of the problem once and for all. In 201 B.C., He defeated Machanidas, Tyrant of Sparta, at Mantinea, and chased his successor, Nabis, out of Messene. He kept the pressure on over the following year, and finally nailed Nabis to the wall in Laconia.

After the death of Nabis, the Spartans were pretty whipped, and Philopoemen incorporated them into the Achaean League in 192 B.C. Spartans being Spartans, it didn't take long for them to get tired of punching each other in the face and killing each other in "training exercises," only about four years actually, so they started a rebellion. Unfortunately for them, Philopoemen hadn't forgotten how to beat Spartan ass in that time, and went about practicing those skills.

Unable to defeat the Achaean League in battle, the defeated Spartan people fell back on subterfuge and ambush. After years of struggle, Philopoemen was captured and poisoned by Messenian rebel fighters in 183 B.C.

It didn't end the fighting, but it ended Philopoemen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.