Pole is the pseudonym for German electronic artist Stefan Betke. Pole is unique in that his music cirles around a broken Pole-Waldorf filter. The filter, originally designed to process sound information, now emits a crackle similar to vinyl hiss.

By taking this hiss and looping it, Pole creates a subtle backdrop to his forte: very ambient dub music.

Pole is distributed on Matador Records in the U.S., and was included on Mille Plateaux's Clicks and Cuts compilation.

Suppose a function f of the complex variable z. A pole of f is any value of z for which |f(z)| goes to infinity. If function f is only evaluated on the real axis, real poles of f cause it to reach infinity, whereas complex poles only cause bumpss in its absolute value. See also zero.

A complex function is said to have a pole at a point a if there is an isolated singularity at a and the Laurent series expansion around a contains only finitely many nonzero terms involving negative powers of (z-a). (When the expansion contains no such terms, we have a removable singularity rather than a pole.) If the Laurent series term with the most negative (i.e., minimum) exponent is (z-a)-n we say that the function has a "pole of order n" at this point. Poles of order 1 are sometimes referred to as "simple" poles; for example, the function 1 / z has a simple pole at the origin.

Poles play an important role in the theory of contour integration, since the residue of a isolated singularity is easiest to calculate if the singularity is a pole, making the Cauchy residue theorem particularly easy to apply.

Pole (?), n. [Cf. G. Pole a Pole, Polen Poland.]

A native or inhabitant of Poland; a Polander.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pole, n. [As. pal, L. palus, akin to pangere to make fast. Cf. Pale a stake, Pact.]

1.

A long, slender piece of wood; a tall, slender piece of timber; the stem of a small tree whose branches have been removed; as, specifically: (a) A carriage pole, a wooden bar extending from the front axle of a carriage between the wheel horses, by which the carriage is guided and held back. (b) A flag pole, a pole on which a flag is supported. (c) A Maypole. See Maypole. (d) A barber's pole, a pole painted in stripes, used as a sign by barbers and hairdressers. (e) A pole on which climbing beans, hops, or other vines, are trained.

2.

A measuring stick; also, a measure of length equal to 5 yards, or a square measure equal to 30 square yards; a rod; a perch.

Bacon.

Pole bean Bot., any kind of bean which is customarily trained on poles, as the scarlet runner or the Lima bean. -- Pole flounder Zool., a large deep-water flounder (Glyptocephalus cynoglossus), native of the northern coasts of Europe and America, and much esteemed as a food fish; -- called also craig flounder, and pole fluke. -- Pole lathe, a simple form of lathe, or a substitute for a lathe, in which the work is turned by means of a cord passing around it, one end being fastened to the treadle, and the other to an elastic pole above. -- Pole mast Naut., a mast formed from a single piece or from a single tree. -- Pole of a lens Opt., the point where the principal axis meets the surface. -- Pole plate Arch., a horizontal timber resting on the tiebeams of a roof and receiving the ends of the rafters. It differs from the plate in not resting on the wall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pole, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Poled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Poling.]

1.

To furnish with poles for support; as, to pole beans or hops.

2.

To convey on poles; as, to pole hay into a barn.

3.

To impel by a pole or poles, as a boat.

4.

To stir, as molten glass, with a pole.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pole, n. [L. polus, Gr. a pivot or hinge on which anything turns, an axis, a pole; akin to to move: cf. F. pole.]

1.

Either extremity of an axis of a sphere; especially, one of the extremities of the earth's axis; as, the north pole.

2. Spherics

A point upon the surface of a sphere equally distant from every part of the circumference of a great circle; or the point in which a diameter of the sphere perpendicular to the plane of such circle meets the surface. Such a point is called the pole of that circle; as, the pole of the horizon; the pole of the ecliptic; the pole of a given meridian.

3. Physics

One of the opposite or contrasted parts or directions in which a polar force is manifested; a point of maximum intensity of a force which has two such points, or which has polarity; as, the poles of a magnet; the north pole of a needle.

4.

The firmament; the sky.

[Poetic]

Shoots against the dusky pole. Milton.

5. Geom.

See Polarity, and Polar, n.

Magnetic pole. See under Magnetic. -- Poles of the earth, ∨ Terrestrial poles Geog., the two opposite points on the earth's surface through which its axis passes. -- Poles of the heavens, ∨ Celestial poles, the two opposite points in the celestial sphere which coincide with the earth's axis produced, and about which the heavens appear to revolve.<-- sic. something seems missing. is "produced" superfluous? -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.