much of the point of the music is to create soundscapes. this is heavily influenced by the idea that we can create scenes within our own mind through the influence of aural stimulus.
brian eno pushed this movement forward, along with philip glass, but he was more minimalist.
this music creates playgrounds for various mental threads to go into to.
Ambient music is generally characterized by slow and beatless sounds. These sounds could include anything from crashing waves to birds chirping to computer generated synthesizer noises. The music is usually slow and lush, and is intended to be listened to while chilling out or falling asleep. It is definitely not made for dancing.

Some examples of ambient or idm artists are autechre, brian eno, biosphere, pete namlook, global communication, woob, terre thaemlitz, tetsu inoue ...

Describes the surrounding environment (especially temperature and pressure) of an object or experiment, in particular an environment which affects the object or experiment but is not affected by it.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Am"bi*ent (#), a. [L. ambiens, p. pr. of ambire to go around; amb- + ire to go.]

Encompassing on all sides; circumfused; investing.

"Ambient air." Milton. "Ambient clouds." Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Am"bi*ent, n.

Something that surrounds or invests; as, air . . . being a perpetual ambient.

Sir H. Wotton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.