In Semitic languages, such as Arabic and Hebrew, the name used to describe a prophet is ne'be, the word is feminized as neb'ee'yah. Prophet is the Greek term meaning an inspired person, abbreviated from in-spirit-ed. There are a number of prophetesses in the Bible.

Miriam

Sister of Moses and Aaron, was a prophetess.

"For the horse of Pharaoh went in with his chariots and with his horsemen into the sea, and The Lord brought again the waters of the sea upon them; but the children of Israel went on dry land in the midst of the sea. And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances." (Exodus 15:19-22)

Deborah

Prophetess in the time of Judges.

"And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time. And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment." (Judges 4:4-5)

Huldah

Huldah lived during the period of Kings.

"So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college; and they communed with her.And she said unto them, Thus saith The Lord God of Israel, Tell the man that sent you to me, Thus saith The Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah hath read: Because they have forsaken Me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke Me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore My wrath shall be kindled against this place, and shall not be quenched" (2 Kings 22:14-17)

Anna

Lived at the time of the birth of Jesus.

"and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for Him according to the custom of the Law ... And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto The Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem." (Luke 2:27-38)

In contrast, the Quran disagree with the Bible.

Nor did We send before thee (as apostles) any but men, whom we did inspire,- (men) living in human habitations. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those before them? But the home of the hereafter is best, for those who do right. Will ye not then understand? (12:109)

Arabic (from right to left):

‏12:109 وماارسلنا من قبلك الا رجالا نوحي اليهم من اهل القرى افلم يسيروا في الارض فينظروا كيف كان عاقبة الذين من قبلهم ولدار الاخرة خير للذين اتقوا افلا تعقلون

And before thee also the apostles We sent were but men, to whom We granted inspiration: if ye realise this not, ask of those who possess the Message. (16:43)

‏ وماارسلنا من قبلك الا رجالا نوحي اليهم فسألوا اهل الذكر ان كنتم لاتعلمون

Before thee, also, the apostles We sent were but men, to whom We granted inspiration: If ye realise this not, ask of those who possess the Message. (21:7)

‏وماارسلنا قبلك الا رجالا نوحي اليهم فسألوا اهل الذكر ان كنتم لاتعلمون

Proph"et*ess, n. [Cf. F. proph'etesse, L. prophetissa.]

A female prophet.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.