The Reed Neighborhood is a mostly residential neighborhood in SE Portland, OR. It is a small neighborhood, surrounded by Holgate Street on the north, Reed College on the south, by 39th Avenue on the east, and by the Portland's main north-south freight railroad line on the west.

As is common with Portland neighborhoods, the official boundaries of the 'Reed Neighborhood' are not what people would actually use. Many people who live on the east or south side of the Reed College campus would probably refer to themselves as living around Reed, simply because Reed is the largest landmark in the area.

The Reed neighborhood is distinctive from the surrounding areas, however. It is much more quiet and residential than the Powell Boulevard commercial district to the North, but has many more apartment complexes and lower to medium middle class homes than the area south of Reed College. The area south of Reed College seems to be where Reed's professor's live, while the Reed neighborhood itself is where many of Reed's students live.

The neighborhood has an interesting history. In the 1920s, landscaper Andrew Lambert planted over 17 acres of it with a series of private gardens, known as the Lambert Gardens. However, these private gardens were later sold to developers who built over them.

Reed (r?d), a.

Red.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Reed, v. & n.

Same as Rede.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Reed, n.

The fourth stomach of a ruminant; rennet.

[Prov. Eng. or Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Reed, n. [AS. hred; akin to D. riet, G. riet, ried, OHG. kriot, riot.]

1. Bot.

A name given to many tall and coarse grasses or grasslike plants, and their slender, often jointed, stems, such as the various kinds of bamboo, and especially the common reed of Europe and North America (Phragmites communis).

2.

A musical instrument made of the hollow joint of some plant; a rustic or pastoral pipe.

Arcadian pipe, the pastoral reed Of Hermes. Milton.

3.

An arrow, as made of a reed.

Prior.

4.

Straw prepared for thatching a roof.

[Prov. Eng.]

5. Mus. (a)

A small piece of cane or wood attached to the mouthpiece of certain instruments, and set in vibration by the breath. In the clarinet it is a single fiat reed; in the oboe and bassoon it is double, forming a compressed tube.

(b)

One of the thin pieces of metal, the vibration of which produce the tones of a melodeon, accordeon, harmonium, or seraphine; also attached to certain sets or registers of pipes in an organ.

6. Weaving

A frame having parallel flat stripe of metal or reed, between which the warp threads pass, set in the swinging lathe or batten of a loom for beating up the weft; a sley. See Batten.

7. Mining

A tube containing the train of powder for igniting the charge in blasting.

8. Arch.

Same as Reeding.

Egyptian reed Bot., the papyrus. -- Free reed Mus., a reed whose edges do not overlap the wind passage, -- used in the harmonium, concertina, etc. It is distinguished from the beating or striking reed of the organ and clarinet. -- Meadow reed grass Bot., the Glyceria aquatica, a tall grass found in wet places. -- Reed babbler. See Reedbird. -- Reed bunting Zool. A European sparrow (Emberiza sch&oe;niclus) which frequents marshy places; -- called also reed sparrow, ring bunting. (b) Reedling. -- Reed canary grass Bot., a tall wild grass (Phalaris arundinacea). -- Reed grass. Bot. (a) The common reed. See Reed, 1. (b) A plant of the genus Sparganium; bur reed. See under Bur. -- Reed organ Mus., an organ in which the wind acts on a set of free reeds, as the harmonium, melodeon, concertina, etc. -- Reed pipe Mus., a pipe of an organ furnished with a reed. -- Reed sparrow. Zool. See Reed bunting, above. -- Reed stop Mus., a set of pipes in an organ furnished with reeds. -- Reed warbler. Zool. (a) A small European warbler (Acrocephalus streperus); -- called also reed wren. (b) Any one of several species of Indian and Australian warblers of the genera Acrocephalus, Calamoherpe, and Arundinax. They are excellent singers. -- Sea-sand reed Bot., a kind of coarse grass (Ammophila arundinacea). See Beach grass, under Beach. -- Wood reed grass Bot., a tall, elegant grass (Cinna arundinacea), common in moist woods.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.