A non-sectarian or eclectic movement which crystallized during the nineteenth century in Eastern Tibet where the study and integration of all schools of Tibetan Buddhism were encouraged by the leading figures of that time, namely: Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye, Chogyur Dechen Lingpa, and Ju Mipham Gyatso. A principal feature of the Rime movement was the emergence of a new literature. This consisted primarily of compendiums of major works of all the major and minor schools of Tibetan Buddhism on convergent topics of thought and practice.

Another one of the types of solid water precipitation (see Graupel), Rime is formed when supercooled clouds pass quickly over a mountain summit. This causes substantial deposits of ice feathers, formations that grow into the wind on most exposed objects as the cloud droplets freeze upon impact. The rime that is produced will vary in density and appearance, depending on temperature, wind velocity, cloud drop size and turbulence.

Since rime is formed by the freezing of cloud droplets, their structure may be very grainy if the drops freeze instantly or very smooth if the cloud water has a chance to flow before it solidifies. Rime formed by flowing water often contains large crystals. The higher the wind and the larger the supercooled cloud droplets, the larger and more rapid rime formation. There are many forms of rime, ranging from icy to powdery, and including solid, granular and feathery. Rime structures up to a meter in length commonly form on trees and other objects on mountain summits.

Rime (?), n. [L. rima.]

A rent or long aperture; a chink; a fissure; a crack.

Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rime, n. [AS. hrim; akin to D. rijm, Icel. hrim, Dan. rim, Sw. rim; cf. D. rijp, G. reif, OHG. rifo, hrifo.]

White frost; hoarfrost; congealed dew or vapor.

The trees were now covered with rime. De Quincey.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rime, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Rimed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Riming.]

To freeze or congeal into hoarfrost.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rime, n. [Etymol. uncertain.]

A step or round of a ladder; a rung.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rime, n.

Rhyme. See Rhyme.

Coleridge. Landor.

⇒ This spelling, which is etymologically preferable, is coming into use again.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rime, v. i. & t.

To rhyme. See Rhyme.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.