Robin Hobb (1952- ) is one of two pseudonyms used by US fantasy author Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden.
Hobb began her career writing under the name Megan Lindholm. She started writing as a journalist for several newspapers in Alaska. At the same time she also submitted short stories, children's fiction and poetry to magazines. Her first professional sale was the short story "Bones for Dulath" in the Daw anthology "Amazons!" (winner of a World Fantasy Award for Best Anthology).
As Megan Lindholm, she wrote a number of works in various sub-genres of fantasy, but it wasn't until she adopted the name Robin Hobb that she hit commercial success with two great fantasy trilogies:

-The Farseer Trilogy, comprised of "Assassin's Apprentice" (1995), "Royal Assassin" (1996) and "Assassin's Quest" (1997). This character-driven story is a courtly intrigue seen from the point of view of a bastard, who is being trained to be an assassin in the service of the king. The protagonist FitzChivalry is one of the most memorable characters in current fantasy.

-The Liveship Trilogy, comprised of "Ship of Magic (1998)", "Mad Ship" (1999) and "Ship of Destiny (2000)". This trilogy is set in a different region of the world described in the Farseer Trilogy and shares some of its characters. A society of traders relies on sentient ships to stay profitable. This series combines elements of pirate fiction and fantasy.

Thanks to the commercial success of the author's most recent works, her older works, written as Megan Lindholm, are coming back into print in 2001 and 2002.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.