The southeastern Queens neighborhood of Rosedale served as hunting grounds for the Rockaway Indians until Dutch and English wheat farmers settled there in the late 1600s. Later, city dwellers moved to the area. A Long Island Rail Road station, called Foster's Meadow after an early British settler named Christopher Foster, opened in 1871. In 1890, the Standard Land Company of Long Island, a developer, renamed the community Rosedale, a likely reference to the area's wild roses. In 1892, the railroad made the name official. Today, Rosedale is home to many immigrants from Jamaica, Haiti, and Guyana.