Large Island, east of NY, has 4 counties, Suburban Nassau and Suffolk, and urban Queens and Brooklyn.

Home to millions, big history, back to the American Revolutionary War. The Great Gatsby took place here, mostly. Walt Whitman, the poet, lived here.
Charles Lindbergh took off in Roosevelt field here, which now has the 3rd largest mall in the US.
Teddy Roosevelt grew up on Long Island.
Billy Joel lived here for all his life.
Brookhaven National Labs is here, as well as the Cold Spring Harbor DNA labs, 2 of the most prestigious science centers in the world.

The Hamptons are out west, the location from Jaws, very rich and exculsive towns. Fire Island is on the south shore. The Long Island Sound is on the North Shore, between Long Island and Connecticut
Famous for the Iced teas, and Fire Island.

      _______________________________________________________
     /  |         |            |                   __________/
  __/   |         |            |            ______/
  |Bklyn| Queens  |   Nassau   |  Suffolk  /
 /      |         |   County   |  County   \________________
 |______|_________|____________|___________________________\

Brooklyn and Queens are two of New York City's boroughs, Nassau County and Suffolk County are considered NYC's main suburbs. When most people mention Long Island, they're usually talking about Nassau and Suffolk. Brooklyn and Queens being there too is just kind of a technicality.

Yes, it looks like a big fish.

Geologically speaking, Long Island is quite young. This 22,000 year old mound of sediment was created when the last southern most ice sheet retreated leaving behind all the rocks, sand and clay it pushed ahead of it. The sea level began to rise around this mound of glacial till resulting in the elongate island you see today.

Evidence of the terminal moraine are the hills that are oriented in an east-west fasion beginning in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and run through central Long Island and into the Atlantic Ocean near Montauk Point. North of these hills are more east-west trending ones showing where recessional moraines formed while the ice sheets slowly retreated.

Long Island was named in 1614 by Adriaen Block of Holland, who after sailing around the island and mapping it for the first time, noticed the amazing length of the land mass. After the existence of Long Island was realized in 1609 by Henry Hudson while searching for an alternative route to India, the West India Company began to create settlements on the western half of Long Island. These settlements give the origin of one of the current regions of Long Island, their names were Breuckelen, Amerfort, Midwout, and New Utrecht. The eastern half of Long Island was given to the Dutch, with the signing of the Treaty of Hartford in 1650. Fourteen years later, the British colonies forced the Dutch to sign away their land. With this change in ownership, New Amsterdam became New York, after the Duke of York. After this change of ownership, the areas names were changed to represent various people in England, creating Suffolk, Queens, and Kings counties.

In the early 1700’s, the first signs of a constant ferry were shown, creating a far easier way to travel and communicate between the colonies. Due to the creation of this ferry, the settlements Southampton, Southold, and East Hampton were all close to the water to allow for easier trade. The people living in this area were mostly tradesmen who were mainly farmers, who farmed melons, tobacco, grain, and pumpkins. The other common professions were whaling and fishing, fishing for clams, oysters, and crabs. These industries began to boom along with the creation of the ferries allowing for trade between Long Island and the mainland.

During the American Revolution, New York was an important strategic point due to its natural harbor and existing infrastructure. The British forces, led by William Howe easily defeated the troops defending New York in the Battle of Long Island. Through the rest of the American Revolution, Britain controlled New York. Long Island was used by the British as a port and as a base for British soldiers until their defeat.

Long Island today is a combination of four counties, Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, and Brooklyn. Due to their size on Long Island, only Nassau and Suffolk counties are referred to when talking about Long Island.

There are many fun things to do in Long Island for both adults and children, from clubs and bars to museums and other attractions. I will break this area down into various categories of things which can be done in long island.


Educational Centers:



Attractions:


Long Island also features some of the best golfing in the country, featuring the Bethpage Black course which will be hosting the 2009 US Open. There are many other rich and intricate courses lined with spectacular housing to keep you talking with your foursome about the area for the duration of your game.

Long Island Iced Tea is one of the most famous products to come from Long Island. It is an alcoholic beverage which tastes almost identical to an average iced tea. The ingredients in the mixed drink are:


2000 Census Information*

Population

Nassau:

Suffolk:

Size (in square miles)/Persons per Square Mile*

Long Island is a district within one of the uppermost circles of Hell, divided into four inner sectors of its own: Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, and Brooklyn, with the first two being the deepest and most accursed. The primary mode of punishment for sinners sent to dwell here eternally is the illusion of an unbelievably average suburban environment. The sheer lack of anything extraordinary depresses and slowly dissolves the soul until it becomes a mindless servant of Great Satan, willing to spend the rest of eternity shuttling from a desk job to a solitary home life. Victims slowly will themselves to die and thus gain access into the next district where they repeat exactly the same same process until they become mired in the deepest sector(Nassau)and have effectively been worn into cosmic debris.

The slow decline begins in Brooklyn, the most urban environment of the four, where the sinner is assaulted by hipsters, ironic counter-culture demons that slowly ferment resentment of new ideas and trends inside the heart of the sinner. Once the mind’s door is successfully shut, the sinner is then moved to Queens, a slightly less urban setting, and assaults them with a variety of cultural stereotypes- the fried-chicken loving, slang-slinging black man, the uber-organized Asian with an obnoxiously high IQ that puts you to shame, and the incredibly ubiquitous, more-boring-than-learning-a-dead-language white guy. Although these clichéd creatures are in fact, demonic impostors, they successfully manage to foster a belief in the sinner’s mind that other cultures are worthless and/or dangerous to society. In Suffolk, the sinner is presented with evidence of this perceived decay- rotten bodegas, poor African-Americans, soccer moms, and an abundance of shitty Chinese food places. The final shift to Nassau presents him or her with elements of all the previous districts, making it impossible for them to keep faith in humanity. In the final step of the systematic desecration, the sinner’s soul is farted out of Great Satan’s anus in a puff of gnats, thus completing the process.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.