A series of high-end visualization, simulation and imaging workstations produced by Silicon Graphics between 2004 and 2007, replacing the SGI Octane. These were the last MIPS workstations produced by SGI, and the last desktop or deskside machines to use the IRIX OS. SGI stopped offering new Tezro systems for sale in December 2006, and shipped the last ones by March 2007.

Specifications

  • Production dates: 2004-2007. End of the line for SGI MIPS workstations.
  • Application architecture: MIPS4
  • Processor: 1, 2 or 4 MIPS R16000 64-bit processors, 600, 700, 800 or 1000MHz. Desktop units support 2 CPUs, rackmount variants can take 4.
  • RAM: 8 DIMMs (desktop) or 16 DIMMs (rackmount). 16GB of RAM max in desktop variants, 32GB for rackmounts.
  • Graphics: Integrated VPro graphics, V12 variant. Supports 48-bit color with 16-bit Z-buffer and stencil buffer.
  • Hard Drives: 2 bays for Ultra320 SCSI disks. 18, 36, 73, 146 and 300GB capacities available, larger disks supported.
  • Audio capabilities: 24-bit, 96000kHz professional audio system. Analog output, digital AES and ADAT output. (desktop version only) PCI audio available in rackmount versions.
  • Expansion:
    • 1 5 1/4" drive bay for a single DVD-ROM in desktop versions. Slimline bay in rackmounts.
    • 7 PCI-X expansion slots, 64-bit, 133MHz.
  • External ports:
    • 4 USB 1.1 ports
    • 2 (desktop) or 4 (rackmount) RS422 high-speed serial ports, DB25 female (460kbps maximum)
    • 1 RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet port
    • 1 68 pin Ultra320 SCSI port
    • 13W3 video connector
    • RCA inputs and outputs for composite and component video

What the Tezro can do

This is the last in a long line of graphics and engineering workstations from SGI, which have seen use for producing movies, TV series and video games. It is the successor to the SGI Octane and Octane2, and the high-end companion to the SGI Fuel. It is capable of handling nearly any graphics task, and is the platform of choice in most of the world's biggest effects houses. Still capable of just about any task it can be put to, from desktop to virtual reality and everything in between, the Tezro is the ultimate desktop SGI workstation.

So, what operating systems can it run?

IRIX. That's it. Fortunately, IRIX is a thoroughly modern Unix with the usual array of features. It even has a few features, like process checkpoints, not found in other systems.

Finding one, and how much you should expect to pay.

The Tezro is very hard to find now that SGI is no longer selling them. A handful of them surface on the used market now and again, usually for extremely high prices. Anything under US$10000 would be considered a bargain. While most of the other SGI workstations, including the Fuel, have dropped in price enough to be within range of the collector, the Tezro is still pretty much in professionals-only territory, especially multi-processor versions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.