Over the years we’ve all probably had our fair share of bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, ham and eggs or steak and eggs. While all of those are tried and true good ways to start the day there's another way just lurking around the corner waiting to be tried.

See, if you’re coming off of a monster of a bender there’s nothing like good old breakfast of SPAM® and eggs to cure what ails you.

Yes, for some of you more venturesome souls out there who like to eat something filling, cheap and easy to prepare (especially in the throes of a wicked hangover) please read on.

First dig deep into your cupboard and blow the dust off that can of SPAM® that’s been sitting back there forever. Peel that fucker open and pry out the contents. If done correctly you’ll hear a faint sucking sound as the meat product is extricated from its case. Next, try to get off any of that mystery “gel” that encases the blob of meat by either rinsing it under some cold water or wiping it off with a paper towel. There’s no reason to worry if you can’t get it all off. It will dissolve into some greasy goodness once the frying begins.

Next, get yourself a knife and slice said SPAM® into ¼ inch slices. Plop some butter into the frying pan and when it’s fully melted but not smoking drop in the slices of SPAM®. Step back and enjoy the aroma that floods the kitchen and your nostrils. Keep flipping them over every couple of minutes or so to avoid them sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once they’re done, if you feel like it you can drain them on some paper towels but if you’re hard core like yours truly, place them directly on a plate

While the SPAM® is cooking away grab about three or four eggs from the fridge, whip ‘em up and begin to scramble them in any way you see fit. Once they’re done spoon them onto to the same plate as the SPAM®. If you’re a purist then dig right it. If you like to add a little zest to your palate you might want to drizzle some Tabasco Sauce or any other kind of hot sauce over them to add some additional flavor.

To aid in removing your hangover, I recommend washing this fine meal down with a Bloody Mary or three just to be sure. Maybe a couple of aspirins too.

Note: As an added bonus, it really doesn’t matter what kind of SPAM® you’re using. I’ve tried both the “turkey” and the “pork” and while there’s little difference between the two, I lean to the “pork” side of the equation

I can already see some of you food snobs out there pointing your nose in the air or rolling your eyes and making derisive puking sounds directed at the monitor. Maybe some of you are actually putting your finger down your throat in an effort to purge yourself of the very idea at this very moment. That’s all up to you but don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it.

Bon appetit

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.