Four items: sticky rice, burger patty, brown gravy, fried egg. Simple items each, but when combined (arranged, composed?) in order they become one of the world's most perfect comfort foods. And why not? Starch, protein, sauce, and more protein coming together with synergy in harmony to fill one's stomach, heart, and soul.

 

Is there one true recipe for this culinary icon? If not, how is this masterpiece of gastronomy achieved? To answer the first question, there is not although many recipes exist. And therein lies the answer to the second question as well as part of the beauty of the dish. A loco moco is a composition, an arrangement of items more so than a single recipe. A combination far greater than its parts. And the cook is the composer. Don't like sticky rice? Not a problem. Use jasmine, basmati, or another white rice; or brown rice; or fried rice; or even rice pilaf. It's okay. Same process with the burger patty. Got a fave? Make it. Grill, fry, bake, whatever. Don't eat beef? Use another meat, or fish, or fowl; your favorite veggie burger; a slice of Spam (with or without a slice of grilled pineapple).

 

Next, the gravy, arguably the most important item of the composition. Some say loco moco is actually a gravy dish, especially proponents of gravy all over. What's traditional? The short answer is it depends on where one is and who one asks. Brown gravy is the most common, as well as the original. However, variations exist both regionally and individually. Cream, curry, chili, onion, and mushroom all occur and intermingle. Bases range from chicken or beef stock (or stew) to dashi to tomato paste through to instant onion soup mix and condensed cream of mushroom soup. This is truly where innovation, skill, and personal tastes shine the brightest. The appropriate choices available number beyond the scope of this article.

 

As for the eggs, the wonderful eggs. Most often, they come sunny side up or over easy, crispy or not. Prefer over medium? Not a problem. Want them poached? Excellent idea. Got a perfect temperature in mind for sous vide? Chef it up! Not a fan of runny yolks? Scramble away. Feeling mischievous? Try a deviled egg. For the simplest versions, the egg can be considered a functional garnish, but one doesn't have to, or need to, stop there. Fresh herbs, fried shallots, sausages, skewers, tomatoes, chicken wings, blah, blah, blah. Spice and herb blends fall in this category as well. As a for instance, furikake, either sprinkled over the egg or on top of the rice under the patty. A few grinds of black pepper, a nice finishing salt. Hot sauces fall here, too, as just a few drops on top of the egg can add additional moments of magic.

 

In conclusion, the loco moco is an algorithm more so than a recipe, possibly even a way of life. Local food that can become cuisine but doesn't have to, or even need to, but adapts to the desires of the cook. Try it out, grab ahold of those inspirations and whims, and enjoy! Disappointment will not be an option, be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner.


iron noder

How am I the first person to node about this?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.