for time is the longest distance between places

It's been twenty years but I still think of you from time to time. The last time we spoke was Friday or Saturday. You asked me for a copy of Wasteland. I didn't get the news until Tuesday. Afterwards I went for a run so I could cry where my parents wouldn't see.

A few other friends have joined you in death. It doesn't get easier. The world is poorer having lost each of them. I am richer having known them. As long as twenty years has been, I'm still young and grief sometimes seems like a memory far down the road.

Adam, I'm sorry.

that's all, I don't think of you that often

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.

Here: https://nationaltoday.com/world-suicide-prevention-day/

I did not know that, but got an email from the county south of me, from the Veteran's suicide prevention team. It was first acknowledged on September 10, 2003. "The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP), in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH), commemorates World Suicide Prevention Day." Suicide is still in the top ten causes of death and a significant number of "accidental" overdoses are thought to be suicides. We had a twenty something year old die of a fentenyl overdose in this county within the last month. My son also has already lost one of his class of around 100 to a heroin overdose.

The theme this year is "Creating Hope through Action".

"Events and activities for the day include:

The inauguration of new government suicide prevention measures.
Conferences, open days, educational seminars, and public lectures are all examples of events.
Suicide prevention and awareness efforts in the media.
Memorial services or candlelight vigils are held to remember persons who have died by suicide.
Organizing cultural and spiritual activities, as well as fairs and exhibitions.
Publications about suicide awareness and prevention are being released.
Training related to Suicide and depression awareness."

An analyst that I know of through another person states that when someone is suicidal, he says, "So, part of you wants to die. We will have to look carefully to see what that is and protect the rest of you while you are going through change." I am paraphrasing as best I can remember, but it seems like a good way to offer hope. As well as all the things listed above.

Blessing on you and yours and in memory of friends and friends of friends.

___________________
https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255
https://www.dea.gov/factsheets/fentanyl
https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Twenty years ago a young man I had never even met spoke right to my soul when he said that Everything2 is a Community. Days later, he proved the truth of it when his death provoked an outpouring of grief and confusion as hundreds of noders struggled to come to terms with his decision. We were the first generation living our lives online. Our loves, dreams, fears, petty fights and daily inanities filled hundreds of writeups a days, not to mention the constant dizzying chaos of the Catbox. The world, we said, had changed in an instant. What, we asked each other, could be more shocking than this terrible loss?

Adam, I am sorry we didn't have time to mourn you as you deserved. Your choice, our loss, shaped this community in ways none of us could have predicted on September 9, 2001.

/me misses Hermetic

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.