I barely knew him - I guess the word is acquaintance, though I usually just say friend. When I saw the chatterbox topic read "Please see the Front Page for some sad news. E2 is wearing black today" I immediately knew someone had died. When I saw the name I gasped and clapped my hand over my mouth. It's not supposed to be someone I know. That kind of thing doesn't happen to people like me. I was in a chat room when I read the page and immediately said a friend had died - everyone shared their condolences. I quickly sent a note to ophie, too.

Hermetic was patient with me when we spoke, and helpful when I had questions about noding. The reality is still settling in. I'll miss him.

This is a little conversation I had with Herm...

Session Start: Thu Aug 30 23:25:39 2001
Session Ident: Hermetic (Hermetic@ip-216-25-202-91.vienna.va.fcc.net)
<Hermetic> yeah.
<Hermetic> long ago.
<Kit_Lo> You kinda remind me of Nick Carraway.
<Hermetic> oh?
<Hermetic> how's that?
<Kit_Lo> I don't know - maybe it's how much you effort put into work (heh)....
<Kit_Lo> (Just enough to make a good story that's not about you working.)
<Hermetic> ah.
Session Close: Thu Aug 30 23:30:48 2001

I had never exhanged so much as a msg with Hermetic. Although he would always say hello whenever I would log on to #everything. When I saw that he had died, I said to myself, "That Sucks". Then I proceded to his homenode to read his final nodes. To see what I had missed.

I read September 9, 2001, and I began to get a sense for how much he cared about the people here.

I continued back a few more nodes. I got a sense of his problems, and of what an asset he was to E2, and to the world. But I still didn't have any emotions attached to him yet.

Then I came to Everything is a Community. I saw my name listed in that wonderful node. Then I started crying. Somehow that made it real for me, more real than all the people who died in the World Trade Center, more real than the thousands of people who die each day that I have never had the pleasure of knowing.

Everything is a Community, and we have lost one of our finest members. I don't know how to end this, so I will simply end it here.

For Hermetic

In case if I format my hard drive and forget to write my logs to CD again.

**** BEGIN LOGGING AT Thu Sep 6
19:37:40 Hermetic -- I only give you a hard time because I like you, you know.
19:37:54 Hermetic -- if I didn't, I would just ignore you.

**** BEGIN LOGGING AT Sun Sep 9
17:58:35 akasha -- i need to befriend eunuchs
17:58:38 akasha -- =D
17:58:46 Hermetic -- hm?
17:59:09 Hermetic -- I would seriously love to go out with your, akasha, if you were older and closer.
17:59:13 Hermetic -- You are cute.
17:59:17 Hermetic -- and smart and funny.
17:59:22 akasha -- i won't have to worry about them wanting to do me or anything, hehe
17:59:23 Hermetic -- short, but that's ok.

Words cannot express my grief. The whole e2 community mourns for you.

Be at peace my friend.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.