Seth Warner was born in Roxbury, Connecticut on May 17, 1743. In his early years, Warner developed strong hunting skills, and sound judgement. He and his father moved to Bennington, Vermont in 1765 to live on a land grant that he had received from the governor of New Hampshire.

New York disputed New Hampshire's claim to the land, and would often send armed police into Bennington to collect taxes New York considered rightfully theirs. In retaliation, several of the New Hampshire settlers formed the Green Mountain Boys in order to fight against the "Yorkers". Warner helped to create the group, and was soon elected captain. New York immediately outlawed Warner and his fellow captain Ethan Allen. Although Warner's claim was less than a mile from the border, New York police were unable to capture him.

At the beginning of the American Revolution, the Continental congress commissioned Warner, Allen and the remainder of the Green Mountain Boys into the Continental Army, over the objections of the New York Assembly. Warner was second in command when the Green Mountain Boys attacked the British garrison at Fort Ticonderoga in 1775, and then led a smaller force in the capture of the fort at Crown Point shortly after. When Ethan Allen left the Boys, Warner became leader of the militia and participated in the assault on Saint John's.

In 1777, Warner was under the command of General St. Clair when they were given the order to evacuate Fort Ticonderoga. While retreating, Warner was ordered to stop the pursuing British from capturing the main bulk of the force. Warner encamped along the military road, and held off the British before retreating himself in the Battle of Hubbardton. Soon afterward, Warner fought in the Battle of Bennington, leading the reinforcements that sent the British into retreat. Warner and his troops were incorporated into the army under General Horatio Gates, and fought in the Battles of Saratoga, eventually capturing the boats that General Burgoyne had set aside for his escape back to Canada.

Warner remained in the army until 1782, when his failing health forced him to resign. Never much of a businessman, Warner's interests began to fail, and he was forced to return to his hometown in Connecticut towards the end of his life. He became so destitute that his wife petitioned Congress for charity, with no immediate result. Warner died on December 26, 1784 in his family home.

After his death, the State of Vermont gave his family 2000 acres in the northwest corner of the state. The area is now located in Essex County, and is called Warner’s Grant. It is not thought that anyone in his family ever lived on the land, and the area is unoccupied now.

Citizens of Bennington built The Bennington Monument in the 1800's in memory of the famous battle. The monument is guarded by a statue of Seth Warner.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.