On a hang glider the side wires are critical bits of the airframe assembly.

The hang glider airframe consists of aircraft-grade aluminum tubing and flexible steel cables, designed so it can spread out to be a wing some 30'+ wide and also fold into a compact cylindrical package for transport and storage. The side wires connect the middles of the leading edges to the kingpost (top) and the control triangle or basetube (bottom), both mounted to the central keel tube. The bottom side wires are particularly crucial because they counter the forces trying to fold-up the wing like a cheap lawn chair while in flight. They also transmit the roll inputs from the pilot, through the basetube, which is several feet below the wing, to the airframe for turning and such. Top side wires attach to the top of the kingpost, several feet above the wing, to similarly support the wings while the glider is on the ground and during the occasional downward shove from turbulence in flight or during a bad landing.

There are also wires from the kingpost and control frame to the nose and aft points of the keel, for stability and pitch control. These and the side wires are all typically 3/16" stainless steel multi-stranded cables with attachment hardware fixed at the ends. Tandem gliders, for two people, and some high performance gliders can see very high loads on the lower side wires, so they will have 1/8" cables that are much stronger. These wires are exposed to the airflow and produce parasitic drag, which depends on the cable diameter and increases exponentially with airspeed. The cables are typically coated with flexible clear plastic tubing to protect them, allow visual inspection, and to keep the wires from sawing off body parts or cutting emergency parachute lines in the rare catastrophic structural failure. Lower side wires should be inspected often and replaced at the sign of any damage, or once per year, whichever comes first. In-flight failure of any cables is extremely rare.

Competition pilots will strip the coating off the cables so they produce less drag at racing speeds. Thinner lower side wires of uncoated 5/16" or 2mm were used by racing competition pilots for a time in the early 2000's for even lower drag, with the caveat that they should be replaced every six months and never put to the high loads produced by aerobatic maneuvers. After a number of broken side wire incidents, mostly among pilots who ignored or were ignorant of the warnings, these have fallen out of favor.

Wire assemblies on hang gliders consist of a length of cable and stainless steel tangs at the ends. These thin tangs (think "tongues") are an inch or two long, half an inch wide and have large holes in each end. A collar of soft metal (a NiCo) is placed over the end of the cable and the cable is looped through one hole of the tang, usually around a steel thimble to prevent kinking and wear, and back through the NiCo, which is then compressed between the jaws of a tool resembling bolt cutters to secure the loop in place permanently. NiCos must be compressed uniformly, all at once, to certain diameters to provide consistent strength. A bolt goes through the other hole of the tang and through the air frame, such as at the leading edge and crossbar junction or the basetube/downtube junction. Because of the high momentary loads that can be placed on a lower side wire during a bad landing the wire holes of lower side wire tangs at the basetube can become elongated; the cable assemblies should be replaced in this case, though failure of even very stretched tangs is unheard of.

The top side wires, and indeed all of the top and bottom front-to-rear wires are under very little load in flight. The lower side wires are extremely taut in flight and critical to a hang glider's structural integrity.

(for Side Quest 2024)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.