WHere the stars shine, where the moon gleams, where the cities, floating on the air, should have been created by now. Perhaps we should stop killing each other,stop falling prey to fear and ascend into the sky, as we were meant to do.

The name of the main analogue and digital satellite broadcaster in the UK.
Merged with British Satellite Broadcasting in the early-to-mid 90's, and became BSkyB, but is generally known and advertised under the 'Sky' brand.
To see the sky:

1. Go find a place where the carpet is thick and green.
2. Look up.
3. If you see a blue ceiling or a black ceiling with lots of shiny dots, this is the sky.
WARNING: If the sky is blue, do not look at the really bright thing.
4. If you see a gray ceiling, this might be the sky. To see the sky for certain, go back to step 1.
5. If you see a ceiling of any other color, go back to step 1.
NOTE: Sometimes really cool things happen in the sky. Try looking up for a while: you may see pretty lights.
WARNING: Do not walk around while looking up. You may may bump into people.

In Korea, SKY is an acronym to identify the top three Korean universities. S stands for Seoul National University (SNU). K stands for Korea University. Y stands for Yonsei University. Compared to America's HYP (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) trinity, SNU is considered Korea's Harvard. Korea University and Yonsei take up the Yale/Princeton roles.

Much like Japan, entry into these top flight universities guarantees easy access to government (SNU primarily), the executive track in Korea's major chaebols, and the foreign service.

It's not all pie in the SKY these days.

The public school system is viewed as incompetent and ill prepared to ready kids to pass SKY's rigorous entrance exams. And much like Japan, cram schools abound to prep kids for these exams. Education costs have been going up but Koreans have not been enjoying the seemingly "sky is the limit" growth in wages since the Asian financial crisis of 1997. The Korean middle and upper middle classes have been chomping at the bit as of late over these private education costs. This is translating into some sectors questioning whether this elite SKY triumvirate, with its privileged access to cushy government jobs, should continue. Unlike Harvard et al, these top flight and elitist universities receive the majority of their funding from the government. This begs the question should people enjoy privileged access on a publicly funded degree?

Sky (?), n.; pl. Skies (#). [OE. skie a cloud, Icel. sk; akin to Sw. & Dan. sky; cf. AS. sca, scwa, shadow, Icel. skuggi; probably from the same root as E. scum. &root;158. See Scum, and cf. Hide skin, Obscure.]

1.

A cloud.

[Obs.]

[A wind] that blew so hideously and high, That it ne lefte not a sky In all the welkin long and broad. Chaucer.

2.

Hence, a shadow.

[Obs.]

She passeth as it were a sky. Gower.

3.

The apparent arch, or vault, of heaven, which in a clear day is of a blue color; the heavens; the firmament; -- sometimes in the plural.

The Norweyan banners flout the sky. Shak.

4.

The wheather; the climate.

Thou wert better in thy grave than to answer with thy uncovered body this extremity of the skies. Shak.

Sky is often used adjectively or in the formation of self-explaining compounds; as, sky color, skylight, sky-aspiring, sky-born, sky-pointing, sky-roofed, etc.

Sky blue, an azure color. -- Sky scraper Naut., a skysail of a triangular form. Totten. -- Under open sky, out of doors. "Under open sky adored." Milton. <-- sky scraper, a tall building, usu. skyscraper -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Sky, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Skied (?) or Skyed; p. pr. & vb. n. Skying (?).]

1.

To hang (a picture on exhibition) near the top of a wall, where it can not be well seen.

[Colloq.]

Brother Academicians who skied his pictures. The Century.

2.

To throw towards the sky; as, to sky a ball at cricket.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.