I have slept with cats a few times and have found the experience to be wonderful. Nothing like a warm furry purring kitty cuddled up to you to give you a wonderful warm fuzzy feeling. However, there is a certain element of risk; sleeping with felines takes some getting used to.

Here's some tips that I've found can help you enjoy a nice warm fuzzy cuddle-companion while you sleep:

  • Don't try to sleep with a really young kitten. You might roll over onto it and kill it. This would be a horrible thing.
  • Don't count on getting much sleep if you're a toss-and-turn type sleeper. If you roll onto the cat he WILL let you know somehow, either by yowling in pain (poor thing) or biting you in the worst possible place. The cat usually then runs off at high speed so you wake up wondering what the *@#(%* happened. Amusingly, the cat usually hops in bed with you again a few minutes afterwards.
  • If you are allergic to cats, even in the slightest way, don't do this. Even if you can stand having cats in your home, sleeping with catfur up your nose may not agree with you. YMMV.
The downsides suck, but cuddling up with a warm purring cat is an experience that's hard to beat. The hardest thing to get over, in my experience, is worrying about possibly hurting the cat in your sleep.
To those of you who were expecting to find something disgusting here... Ha Ha!

When I was four years old I got a kitten,who became a cat, he was a half siameise and half tabby. For as long as I could remember he'd sleep in my bed with his head in my right arm pit and stretch out, his legs would reach my knees (even when I became 6'2" tall).

When he got too Hot in bed he's just stretch out an arm through the covers and I'd usually end up with a claw hooked on my right nostril or even worse, my upper lip, eeew cat in my mouth what a way to wake up.......

I was never cold in bed with him there on those cold nights, but it was a little awkward when he came home from staying out all night hunting in the rain, are there many ways more unpleasant to be woken than by a wet cat trying to climb in you warm dry bed with you ?

I would have to convince him to climb under the first layer of covers until he dried out, but he always tried to get right in, if I didn't wake up till I felt wet fur beside it it was a little unpleasant.

When I was 18 my parents renovated the house, and I had to sleep in a holiday home 5 km away. My cat got sick when I was sleeping away from him. I remember the last time I cuddled him he was in pain , i just stroked his head and he purred, that was a Friday night, On Saturday afternoon ( I was a university Student , we're not supposed to see the Morning Sun) I awoke to my mother calling in to tell me she'd taken my cat to the vet and he's been put down, My best mate in the world was dead.

I remembered him calling to me with his siameise howl when he was getting close to home and me answering him with my siameise howl (after 14 years I understood what he was saying).

I went home and saw my cat wrapped in a sheet on the lawn, I took him into the laundry and unwrapped him and stroked his fur, he was just motionless still, he still looked perfect, there was no life, I just stoot there crying stroking him. Later that day he was buried in a flower bed.

I really Miss him sleeping beside me purring warmly.
R.I.P Thai Mai Arthur Spring '78 - Winter '94

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.