Author: James Robinson
Originally titled: Sins of the Child
Publisher: DC Comics

Night and Day is the 2nd TPB in the life of Jack Knight, the seventh and most current Starman. It begins to establish Jack's (reluctant) role as somebody who realizes that being a hero is what one does because something is right...not necessarily fun or rewarding.

The book introduces us to the most recent incarnation of Solomon Grundy, as well as bringing The Mist's daughter into the most recent incarnation of that title, and perhaps in a far more capable and psychotic fashion than her father ever managed. One can only hope that he is proud is some odd afterlife.

Also introduced (to be resolved in the next TPB, A Wicked Inclination...) is the plot of Merritt and his demon, and the posters which kept him in eternal life, which we are told were the inspiration for Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray.

Ever filled with tie-in's and dissertations on things arcane, esoteric, and generally unknown, Robinson delights and confounds the reader with that which only a true collector or fan(atic) could know.

Such as the amazing sequence where, during a beating to elicit information, a thug extends eloquent detail to the victim and his audience upon which movie actors truly portrayed the Philip Marlowe. His opinion was that anybody who had read the books could see that it was Dick Powell (rather than the ever popular Humphrey Bogart), because while Bogart was always himself, Powell brought "a weary grace" to the part.

Comic work, but also literature, with conversation on the level of Brian Michael Bendis.

A pleasure alone, but certainly likely to form an addiction to that which is Starman, which bears frequently rereading by those who enjoy the Graphic art.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.