Sundance usually refers to the Sundance Resort, established in 1969 by Robert Redford when he purchased land from the Stewart family, settlers and Mormon converts. Compared to the other ski resorts in the area (Sundance is a few miles from Provo, Utah but is most often associated with Park City, where the Sundance Film Festival takes place, although Park City is about 30 miles away on US 40) Sundance is minimally developed, with only a few wood-shingled buildings and one or two ski lifts and no lodge at the top of the mountain. Sundance has a few restaurants, some cottages and other guest accomodations, an open-air theatre, and a building where you can rent skis in winter and mountain bikes in summer. Winter of course is largely for skiing, but the other seasons bring theatre, craft vendors and art galleries, hiking and mountain biking.

It's a very beautiful and peaceful place, surprisingly intimate given that it ultimately is a commercial endeavor (although the institute itself is non-profit and exists primarily for arts education and environmental programs).

Sundance was the little arcade game that couldn't. Cinematronics produced this title in 1979. It was an interesting game, but there was a big problem. You see they contracted with a cheap vendor to make the 23" monochrome X-Y monitors. That vendor used a defective carbon coating inside the picture tubes. After a short amount of time the coating would begin to flake off, and the monitor would self destruct. These games were typically plugged in by their new owners, who were greeted with an instant light show as electricity arced around in the picture tube and burned it out. Most of these games didn't even survive long enough to take in a single quarter.

A few of them lived a bit longer, but the bad X-Y monitor eventually took all of them out. By the early 1990s the game had already become nothing more than a legend. Just a tale that people talked about. Few people had ever actually seen a working copy of this game back in 1979, and there certainly weren't any around almost 20 years later.

The game

The object in Sundance was to catch little suns that bounced back and forth between a pair of grids, which move closer and closer together as the game goes on. The controls consisted of a matrix of 9 pushbuttons, along with a 10th button which could make the little sun explode.

Cabinet Information

Sundance came in the same basic cabinet as the more common Rip Off and Tailgunner. It featured flame themed sideart, and also had flames on the monitor bezel and around the coin door. The monitor bezel was orange, in order to give the game a bit of color. Most of these cabinets were instantly scrapped, as game conversions weren't real big in 1979, and a cabinet with a bad monitor isn't very good for a conversion anyhow.

The Rebirth of Sundance

A few very dedicated vector collectors managed to track down a working boardset for this game in 1997. Soon after a few empty Sundance cabinets surfaced. Since then it appears that around 3 of these machines have been pieced together in total. Which puts this game in the ranking for the title of "Rarest arcade game ever." But it isn't even close, as there are many games that simply do not seem to exist at all anymore (Sprint 8 for example).

MAME supports this title partially. You can watch the attract mode, but you can't play it. So until they fix that, there is simply no way for you to play this game.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.