display | more...

Swage (?), v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Swaged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swaging (?).] [Equiv. to suage, abbrev. fr. assuage.]

See Assuage.



© Webster 1913.

Swage, n.

A tool, variously shaped or grooved on the end or face, used by blacksmiths and other workers in metals, for shaping their work, whether sheet metal or forging, by holding the swage upon the work, or the work upon the swage, and striking with a sledge.

Swage block, a perforated block of iron, having grooved sides and adapted for use in heading bolts and swaging objects of large size.


© Webster 1913.

Swage, v. t.

To shape by means of a swage; to fashion, as a piece of iron, by forcing it into a groove or mold having the required shape.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.