<TT>, the terminal text tag, causes the enclosed text to display in a fixed-width font. This is useful in creating, for example, a list of words in which length is important, or in drawing something like a magic square of numbers.

For anything much more complicated, the <PRE> tag is perferable. However, <TT> is far less likely to cause bad formatting in the page of cool and such places.

The effects of the <TT> tag are perhaps best seen when viewing symbols of vastly different width; consider "'w' and 'i'" as compared with "'w' and 'i'" in normal text.

This HTML tag is (not very actively) disputed in its abbreviated meaning. W3C, the HTML people, call it "teletype text" (instead of terminal text, although neither is particularly better than the other as) mentioned above. See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-TT

I have also seen it called "typewriter text" (as that is what i learned it as). It was defined in the HTML 3.2 specification by W3C.

TT is an html tag that displays the included text in teletype font, that is, all the characters are of a uniform width, like on an old teletype machine. This is often used in html documents to show a quotation is being made, or that the author wishes to seperate what he is writing off from the rest of the document.

Without advocating style over substance, I would like to point out to people here on e2 that a little bit of formatting goes a long way, and that using the tt goes a long way.

Note: Since e2 does not use the code tag, I can't display the brackets around the tag, but you all know what they look like, right? And it gives me an excuse to demonstrate the tt font.

The TT (tiny telephone) jack, aka the bantam plug, is a smaller version of the plug we refer to as "phone plug", "phone jack" or 1/4" jack.

The TT plug was invented by switchcraft.
Years lated the company ADC created the same plug, but now known as "bantam".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.