The Basics

TalonSoft is a developer and publisher of PC CD-ROM strategy, simulation, and action games. The company was founded in 1995 by Jim Rose, producer of board and computer games for Avalon Hill, and John Davidson, the former Vice-President of MIS for Alexander & Alexander. TalonSoft's idea is to create the most artistic, historically accurate, and enjoyable games. TalonSoft's products are designed to be easy to use and have a wide appeal to gamers of all ages.

Games they have produced

In 1995 they released Battleground: Ardennes. It has since spawned an entire series including but not permanently limited too such famous battles as Gettysburg, Waterloo, Antietam, and Borodino. Each of the Battleground titles is based on a gaming engine that is challenging, yet easy to use. The game all use the "Battleview" graphics system which apparently has gone a long way towards gaining the company credibility.

In 1996, TalonSoft unveiled the first in a series of "real-time" naval games, Age of Sail. The game covered naval history from 1775 to 1820 and included all of the major sailing nations of the world during those years. The new programming engine featured historically accurate scenarios, a campaign game, and a full scenario editor.*

In 1997 TalonSoft released East Front. In this game the players were able to feel the impact of the terrible battles that took place from during W.W.2. on the Russian front. The player was given the choice of leading troops through many pre-designed scenarios or campaigns, or again simply using the equipment of the time to design their own scenarios. The game was apparently well received by players and critics alike, and was followed by the release of the East Front Campaign CD, which offered players new scenarios and campaigns, and additional nationalities.

Also in 1997, TalonSoft signed renowned industry veterans Norm Koger, Gary Grigsby, and Keith Brors, and in doing so hoped to change the way that their games were made. These designers have created some of the most successful products in the game industry for more than a decade.

In 1998, they released The Operational Art of War, Volume I to outstanding reviews. The game was hailed by the media and gamers alike as one of the all-time greatest war games ever produced.

With accolades for The Operational Art of War, Volume I still pouring in, TalonSoft released West Front, the natural companion game to its hit East Front game. Players could now relive all of the most famous battles of World War II. Battles such the landing at Normandy, the North African campaign, and the Battle of the Bulge in are included intricately rendered in real time.

In early 1999, TalonSoft's games had won them enough attention that larger companies started paying attention and the company was acquired by leading software publisher, Take-Two Interactive. With Take Two Interactive behind them, TalonSoft made their move into the spotlight by releasing two titles, Hidden & Dangerous and Jagged Alliance 2. Both games have resulted in record sales and we also well received by critics.

In 2000, TalonSoft, with the continued backing of Take-Two Interactive, were able to release games in more than just the War genre. Rising Sun (wargame), Tzar (real-time strategy), and Lemmings Revolution (puzzle) were all released and have done excellent to middling.

In 2001, TalonSoft released the sequel to that troublesome game Age of Sail, aptly named Age of Sail II, also they released Hidden & Dangerous 2.

Also in 2001 the released their anticipated Mafia. Players attempt to rise from the lowly "Foot Soldier" to an envied and feared "Made Man" in an era of big bands, zoot suits and Ford Model T's The City that Mafia takes place in is called “Lost Heaven” and apparently is a mixture or New York and Chicago.

Awards Won By TalonSoft

Games in the Battleground Series have won numerous awards including "Wargame of the Year", "Editor's Choice", and earned the distinction of being one of the few product lines to be inducted in its entirety into the Computer Gaming World "Hall of Fame".

In 1998 The Operational Art of War had won the coveted title of "Wargame of the Year" from nearly every major computer gaming publication.

Subsidiary and Affiliate Info

TalonSoft develops and publishes games internally and through external developers in the US and abroad; products are distributed worldwide and have been reproduced in numerous languages. TalonSoft is headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive.

TalonSofts parent company is of course Take Two Interactive. http://www.take2games.com

Silicon Dreams is developing Dogs of War. http://www.sdreams.co.uk/

Haemimont developed Tzar: The Burden of the Crown. http://www.haemimont.com/

Refraction developed Codename Eagle.

Norm Koger developed The Operational Art of War series. http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/

Illusion Softworks developed Hidden & Dangerous. http://www.illusionsoftworks.com/

Mission Studios, a subsidiary of Take 2 Interactive developed the Jet Fighter series. http://www.missionstudios.com/

Sirtech developed the Jagged Alliance Series. http://www.sir-tech.com/


*This damn game caused me more trouble in the creation of Age of Sail I felt that I had to node about them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.