Full name: Edward Paul Sheringham

Birth Date: 02/04/1966
Birthplace: Walthamstow, England
Nationality: English

Current club: Tottenham Hotspur
Squad No: 10
Position: Forward
Height: 6ft 1in / 185 cm
Weight: 13st / 82.5 kg

International caps: 47
International goals: 11

Born in Walthamstow, Teddy began his career with Millwall as an apprentice and worked his way through the club junior sides before making his first team debut in January 1984 against Bournemouth. Following loan spells at Aldershot and Djurgaarden in Sweden, and after playing 220 league appearances for Millwall, scoring 93 league goals, he was bought by Nottingham Forest in 1991 where he came to prominence.

Whilst at Forest he played together with a young Roy Keane. At the end of his first full season at the City Ground where he didn't really settle, Sheringham was sold to Tottenham Hotspur for £2.1 million. The goals started to flow again and by the end of the 1992/93 season Sheringham had rattled in 29 to become the Premiership's "Golden Boot" winner. Though his partnership with Jurgen Klinsmann during the 94/95 season was perhaps more memorable. At Spurs he made 166 League appearances and scored 76 League goals. A full international, Sheringham played an important part in England's success in Euro 96.

However, concerned that at the age of 31 he had yet to win a major trophy, he asked for a transfer in the summer of 1997 and was bought by Manchester United in that summer for £3.5 million from Tottenham Hotspur. He made his debut for United, ironically at White Hart Lane, against his old club Spurs. His season, after a good start began to falter after January and United finished trophy-less. He was also a member of the England World Cup squad in 1998, playing in two games.

Sheringham's intelligent passing and creativity make him a dangerous player who can find the key to unlock opposition defences. His impact on games where he came on as substitute for Manchester United was noticeable as he gave them an extra set of attacking options. Not only this but his aerial power is also known, having scored many goals on headers. Teddy Sheringham was initially given the unenviable task of filling Eric Cantona's boots, and not surprisingly he struggled. After a period in the wilderness Teddy came back to confound his critics during the 1998/99 run-in.

After coming into the team which won the Premiership, he came off the bench in the FA Cup Final to play a key role in winning that trophy. Amazingly he came off the bench again in the Champions League Final to alter the course of the game, and United's history, by scoring the equaliser and setting up the winner. From having seen no silverware in his long career, Teddy now picked up the game's three most valued trophies within a few weeks.

At international level Teddy formed another excellent partnership with Alan Shearer, particularly during Euro 96, when he was once more under Terry Venables, his manager at his first spell at Tottenham. Teddy is perhaps most valued for his footballing brain, where he seems to know both what is best for him and for his team.

At the end of the 00/01 season, Sheringham, now a 35 year old, could not agree a new contract with Manchester United who only offered him a one year deal. This lead to him moving back to Tottenham on a free transfer, as Glenn Hoddle's first buy of the summer. The 01/02 season started very well for Teddy, with both him and Tottenham making a big impression in the Premier League up until Christmas. But at a point, Teddy as well as the rest of the team had a dip in form, leading to Tottenham losing the League Cup Final to Blackburn, and Spurs ending up on a disappointing 9th place in the league. A positive end to the season for Teddy was that he was included in the England squad for the 2002 World Cup in Korea/Japan, where he will be one of the most experienced players in the team.


Club record (club - games - goals):

01 - now Tottenham Hotspur 42 13
97 - 01 Manchester United 156 47
92 - 97 Tottenham Hotspur 197 98
91 - 92 Nottingham Forest 62 23
1985 (loan) Aldershot 6 0
84 - 91 Millwall 262 111

Major achievements:

1993: Makes his international debut for England
1999: A historic treble; Winner of English Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League with Manchester United
1999: Winner of Intercontinental Cup with Manchester United
2000: Winner of English Premier League with Manchester United
2001: Winner of English Premier League with Manchester United
2001: Voted PFA Player of the year and Football Writers' Association Player of the year
2001: Scores his 100th Premiership goal in the game between Tottenham and Chelsea


Updated 260502
sources:
www.soccerbase.com
www.manutdzone.com/legends/TeddySheringham.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.