Team (?), n. [OE. tem, team, AS. te�xa0;m, offspring, progeny, race of descendants, family; akin to D. toom a bridle, LG. toom progeny, team, bridle, G. zaum a bridle, zeugen to beget, Icel. taumr to rein, bridle, Dan. tomme, Sw. tom, and also to E. tow to drag, tug to draw. 64. See Tug, and cf. Teem to bear.]

1.

A group of young animals, especially of young ducks; a brood; a litter.

A team of ducklings about her. Holland.

2.

Hence, a number of animals moving together.

A long team of snowy swans on high. Dryden.

3.

Two or more horses, oxen, or other beasts harnessed to the same vehicle for drawing, as to a coach, wagon, sled, or the like.

"A team of dolphins."

Spenser.

To take his team and till the earth. Piers Plowman.

It happened almost every day that coaches stuck fast, until a team of cattle could be procured from some neighboring farm to tug them out of the slough. Macaulay.

4.

A number of persons associated together in any work; a gang; especially, a number of persons selected to contend on one side in a match, or a series of matches, in a cricket, football, rowing, etc.

5. Zool.

A flock of wild ducks.

6. O. Eng.Law

A royalty or privilege granted by royal charter to a lord of a manor, of having, keeping, and judging in his court, his bondmen, neifes, and villains, and their offspring, or suit, that is, goods and chattels, and appurtenances thereto.

Burrill.

 

© Webster 1913.


Team (?), v. i.

To engage in the occupation of driving a team of horses, cattle, or the like, as in conveying or hauling lumber, goods, etc.; to be a teamster.

<-- team up, to form one or more teams, either for a common endeavor, or to compete in a contest. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Team, v. t.

To convey or haul with a team; as, to team lumber.

[R.]

Thoreau.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.