Located in the French Pyrénées Mountains. The Château Montségur sits upon a 1207 meter high rock mountain, called Pog. It was built in the first half of the 13th century, on the ruins left by previous dwellings. At the base of the mountain lies the small village Montségur.

The Château Montségur was one of the last strongholds of the Cathars during the Albigensian Crusade. It was here that the Cathars took shelter when chased from everywhere by the violent raids, and slaughters of the Catholic Church's inquisition. The fall of Montségur occurred on March 16th, 1244. On that day 225 Cathars were burned alive on a pyre at the base of the mountain because they would not renounce their faith.

If you visit Montségur today the sharp lines of the castle can still be seen from a distance, contrasting against the blue sky. However stunning crumbled ruins, and an intense sense of its sinister history are all that remain.

It is a 30 minute rocky climb to follow the trail from the visitor car park and memorial, to the Château. However the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, and the ruins themselves are well worth the trip. I would recommend for anyone traveling in the vicinity to take a detour and visit the Château Montségur. You won't be disappointed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.