The Last Pancake Breakfast is a painting by artist Dick Detzner that recently caused controversy in Chicago.

The painting, a parody of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper, inflamed Christians due to its use of corporate icons instead of Apostles, and Mrs. Butterworth in place of Jesus. From left to right the painting features: Snap, Crackle, Pop, Cap'n Crunch, Tony the Tiger, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth, Toucan Sam, the Quaker Oats guy, a pink cartoonish character with a propeller on his head, the Golden Crisp bear, the Lucky Charms leprechaun, and the silly rabbit from Trix. All of these characters are partaking in a breakfast of pancakes and orange juice, hence the title.

The Last Pancake is a part of a series of paintings title "Corporate Sacrilege." This series also features paintings depicting Ronald McDonald being crucified, Mickey Mouse being expelled from the garden of Eden, the Pillsbury Doughboy being crucified while God is poking him, the Snuggle bear in a parody of the famous St. Steven execution painting, Jesus on a box of Wheaties, and more.

While on display in Chicago, the gallery displaying The Last Pancake Breakfast receive various complaints from irate Christians. This surprised me, personally, because by just hearing the title of the series one should easily be able to decipher the meaning behind the paintings. This contraversy strikes me as similar to that reguarding The Last Temptation of Christ - people choosing to be offended whilst totally ignoring the artist's intent.

If you know the specific names of some of the characters I mentioned, please /msg me.

Source: The Chicago Tribune, www.detznet.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.