While driving through Texas it’s important to keep your sense of humor. The place is big, covered by flat often beautiful country punctuated every once in awhile by Confederate battle flags. Texas is a strange place. Every time I travel through it, I feel as if I’ve come to a place both more civilized and less so than my own home state. In Dallas there are buildings that could easily fit the Bank of America building in downtown Albuquerque inside with room left over, and yet a few miles outside of Fort Worth there are folks who don’t seem to know that the Civil War is over. Under these conditions it’s important to keep a good sense of humor.

We have a bad tendency as people do rather silly thing and one of these silly things is exemplified by The Old Texas Joke:

While traveling through Texas I got lost somewhere around Lubbock and had to stop at a gas station to ask for directions.

“How do I get back to I-27?” I asked.

“Oh, you just turn right at the Texas Roadhouse and follow the dirt road and you’re there,” the friendly lady behind the counter said.

I followed the dirt road and got back on the highway just fine.

On the way to Dallas I realized that I hadn’t gotten any maps for the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Fortunately, I was able to stop at a Travel Station between Midland and Dallas where the courteous staff gave me a bunch of maps detailing not only the areas around the cities, but also local events like plays and musical concerts.

Leaving Texas I stopped to get gas at a gas station. A man in a pickup with a giant cowboy hat spotted my Obama sticker on the back of my car.

Sauntering up to me he said, “Whatcha vote’n fer Obama fer? Ya hate Merica or something?”

When I got home I said to my brother with the best of confidence, “Man, Texas is filled with a bunch of hicks!”

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.