"The goal of all inaminate objects is to resist man and ultimately defeat him." - Russel Baker

The universe is out to destroy man. I don't mean that in an active sense, but rather in a more passive manner: by waiting him out. By sitting around and slowly consuming him until he is no more. The universe is chaos, and man is order. Man lives on order. He has certain requirements, certain rules he needs to follow or else he will be eliminated. Even when restricting the rules and requirements he needs to survive to the realm of biology, there is already a prodigious number. When psychology and sociology are taken into account, the number is virtually uncountable.

The universe is all about change, entropy, and chaos. Man, as are all organisms, dependant on a degree of constancy for survival.

Man cannot stop change. He can hardly even slow it down. This whole place will get more and more chaotic until it one day destroys him.

Man will not live forever. There is a good chance he will never burn his name into the stars, make his brand on the cosmos. Oh, he might toss some stuff into the sky, and maybe it won't fall down for a really long time. Maybe he will leave something behind that another civlization a billion years from now discovers, and then causes that civilization's scientists to murmur, "That's queer." Maybe they will even reconstruct some pivotal points of man's existance and, in a way, remember him, thereby granting him a degree of greater longevity in the form of memory. But it won't be immortality. Oh, no.

See, what happens when that civlization dies out? Maybe another civlization will find them and the memory of man. And when that one dies? And the one after that? By their very nature, civlizations and people, whether human or alien, are mortal. They cannot live forever, and, in the end, every single one of them will die.

And then not even the memory of man will be left.

Man will one day be lost forever to the void, and there will be nobody there to shed a tear.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.