Screws fall out all the time
John Bender, The Breakfast Club

For me it helps to live in New Orleans, because there are no misconceptions about this fact. No one pretends that things aren't far from perfect and that there are some things that will never change. It's only when you're living in some place that pronounces the facade of perfection, or that little goes wrong there, that when the things go wrong they go very wrong, drawing attention to a bigger problem, that of denial by distance.

Living in any city ensures that you more than likely know how screwed up the world is, for if it is screwed up, it's mainly because of human intervention or attempts at control. The more people you pour into one place, the more this becomes aware. The less that nature seems to run a system, the less sense it tends to make. Sure, nature is chaos, but it regenerates, it survives. We do not, not all the time. We associated ourselves with nature in its survival of the fittest, but our standards are no longer dictated by nature but by rules we make for ourselves. You either play along and increase your chances to success (though nothing is guaranteed) or you try your hardest to not donate to that system. No one is fully free from it. Therein we create individual rules to combat the corporate ones.

This is why I can't see myself living in any bigger a city than New Orleans. While it would be exciting and more variety, I think it would take me too close with too intense the proof I already know exists.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.