Toadfish, shortened to Toadie or simply Toad, is a character played by Ryan Maloney in the long-running soap, Neighbours. The character's real name is the rather less interesting, but still as strange, Jarrod Rebecchi.

The character started out as the little brother of Stonefish, a butch guy who always wore a leather jacket. His family moved away, leaving the young Toadie (sporting a mullet. Righteous. Dude.) to move in with his best friend Billy in the Kennedy household. After numerous incidents, including choking the school with toxic fumes after placing polystyrene balls in the ventilation system, the young man came of age and went to Erinsbourgh University (the only University the characters will ever go. Ever.) and moved across the road into some student digs.

Toadie found his feet as a student (and cut off his mullet), involved in many amusing escapades and providing the best comedy the show has ever seen. My favourite storyline was when he, Joel and Lance decided none of them wanted to do the washing-up anymore, and had to make do with dirty plates for weeks:

TOAD: Hey, where did you get that clean plate from?!
JOEL: Hah! I licked my plate clean since the last meal!

He also refused to wash for as long as it took to raise enough money (given by people to make him go away as he smelt so bad) to have the University library named after him. He failed.

Toadfish has gone on from DJing at Uni FM to become a lawyer. He has never yet found a girlfriend which didn't leave him after a month. The only one that did wanted to marry him for a visa. Poor guy.


The props: Neighbours.com Toadfish web page, http://www.neighbours.com/bio/toadfish.htm. Accessed on 27th April 2002.

Since Lewisham's writeup, Toadie (full name: Jarrod "Toadfish" Vincenzo Rebecchi) has had a number of new girlfriends and has actually gotten married to Dione Bliss (played by the gorgeous Madeline West), although she was killed off not long after.

Toadie's other previous flings include the rather annoying Sindi Watts played by Marisa Warrington, (who left him for Stuart Parker, played by Blair McDonough of Big Brother fame) and up until recently (careful, SPOILERS AHEAD for UK readers), one of Neighbours' stranger storylines had him team up with a female wrestler. Fortunately she left town on a country-wide wrestling tour.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ryan Maloney (who plays Toadie) on a film shoot recently. He's seemed as easy-going as his on-screen character.

It should be noted that I know and care far too much about Neighbours.

Toad"fish` (?), n. Zool. (a)

Any marine fish of the genus Batrachus, having a large, thick head and a wide mouth, and bearing some resemblance to a toad. The American species (Batrachus tau) is very common in shallow water. Called also oyster fish, and sapo.

(b)

The angler.

(c)

A swellfish.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.