A chocolate bar made by the Mars company. It has a coconut/nougat flavour and includes caramel. It is found in a red wrapper with white, drop-shadowed writing saying 'Topic'. It is also found in Celebrations.

It has recently suffered a down-turn in popularity in the UK, although its presence as a miniature in Celebrations boxes may turn this around.

Top"ic (?), n. [F. topiques, pl., L. topica the title of a work of Aristotle, Gr. τοπικα, fr. τοπικος of or for place, concerning τοποι, or commonplaces, fr. τοπος a place.] (a)

One of the various general forms of argument employed in probable as distinguished from demonstrative reasoning, -- denominated by Aristotle to`poi (literally, places), as being the places or sources from which arguments may be derived, or to which they may be referred; also, a prepared form of argument, applicable to a great variety of cases, with a supply of which the ancient rhetoricians and orators provided themselves; a commonplace of argument or oratory.

(b) pl.

A treatise on forms of argument; a system or scheme of forms or commonplaces of argument or oratory; as, the Topics of Aristotle.

These topics, or loci, were no other than general ideas applicable to a great many different subjects, which the orator was directed to consult. Blair.

In this question by [reason] I do not mean a distinct topic, but a transcendent that runs through all topics. Jer. Taylor.

2.

An argument or reason.

[Obs.]

Contumacious persons, who are not to be fixed by any principles, whom no topics can work upon. Bp. Wilkins.

3.

The subject of any distinct portion of a discourse, or argument, or literary composition; also, the general or main subject of the whole; a matter treated of; a subject, as of conversation or of thought; a matter; a point; a head.

4. Med.

An external local application or remedy, as a plaster, a blister, etc.

[Obsoles.]

Wiseman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Top"ic, a.

Topical.

Drayton. Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.