A web browser designed to use certain dark web websites. It is failing as it gets more popular, as when you are an underground idea, you degrade when popular. You can use TOR (The Onion Router) to find child porn, copyrighted materials, drugs, and chatrooms.

It is the most well known dark web browsers, having many references in popular culture. It is also a modified Mozilla browser upgraded to host darknet websites.

When I tried to watch youtube on it for the first time, the website was in Russian, so it must be good for crime.

Tor is an anonymity network using onion routing to make it difficult for adversaries to track users of the network. Tor directs the traffic to three relays (guard, middle, exit) before sending it to the server. This way, the server can't accurately know the location of the user via IP address.

Users commonly use the official Tor Browser, a Firefox fork designed to connect to Tor. Although any browser can be customized to use Tor, the Tor Project, maintainer of the Tor software, recommends to use the Tor Browser whether a novice or experienced one, in order not to compromise security and privacy.

Tor is used both for legal (like whistleblowing or simply for increased privacy) and illegal purposes (like dangerous drugs). The bad sides shouldn't be a reason why not to use Tor, because if it is, then cars, guns, and knives should be banned because they can cause harm. Tor is important for activism, journalism, the military and police, and even normal people who just care about their privacy for them and their family (especially when Edward Snowden revealed the surveillance programs of the National Security Agency). Without Tor, the good citizens have no defense unlike criminals who always have anonymity tools other than Tor.

Tor (?), n. [AS. torr; cf. Gael. torr. Cf. Tower.]

1.

A tower; a turret.

[R.]

Ray.

2.

High-pointed hill; a rocky pinnacle.

[Prov. Eng.]

A rolling range of dreary moors, unbroken by tor or tree. C. Kingsley.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.