go back to Smith's Houses

Tyler House was built in 1898, the last of first six houses constructed in the early years of Smith College on the original campus. Tyler is an impressive Queen Anne-style brick building with a large front porch, a style that is followed by the later Green Street Houses. Tyler House was named for William Seymour Tyler, one of the original trustees of the college.

Sixty-nine students from all four classes call Tyler home. Within the Tyler's four floors are 41 single rooms and 14 doubles.Tyler residents, joined by Lawrence House and Morris House residents, eat all their meals in Tyler's Consolidated Dining.

A favorite Tylerite gathering place is in the comfortable living room where occasionally parties are held and where residents can sit, watch television and socialize. For more serious academic pursuits there is a house library.

House traditions include in-house trick-or-treating, first snow party, secret snowflake, and the Smith College Tradition, tea on Friday afternoons. Tyler House is near the Science Quad, Sage Hall , Scott Gymnasium, Ainsworth Gymnasium and theIndoor Track and Tennis Facility. The athletic fields and Paradise Pond are also nearby.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.