100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608

The Universal Amphitheatre is an indoor concert venue that can hold an audience of 6,251 people (counting only those with tickets and not security and other employees of the venue). The amphitheatre opened in 1972 for musical performances (though other types of performances are welcome to rent the venue as well) and has since been the stage for many well known names from both then and now. The amphitheatre got a roof in 1982.

Inside, the Universal Amphitheatre manages to hold a rather large audience without sacrificing much of the more intimate performer/audience relationship smaller venues typically provide. The theatre is located right between Universal Studios Hollywood (which is in Universal City, not Hollywood) and Universal Citywalk. Outside of the seating area (but not outside the amphitheatre) are various shops to buy merchandise associated with the current performer or food and drinks. The venue adds a slight amount to the price of performance-related merchandise.*

Typically enforced rules are no bottles, cans, coolers, baskets, cameras, recording devices and smoking are allowed inside and everyone needs a ticket (children included). Ticket information can be found via the box office at 1 (818) 622-4440. Tickets may usually be purchased at the box offices in front of the theatre, at Ticketmaster outlets or by phone at 1 (213) 252ยท8497. In 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999, the amphitheatre won the Pollstar Theatre of the Year award. The amphitheatre won the Performance Magazine Arena/Auditorium of the Year award in 1994 and 1995.

*Discovered by me when I saw the same artist two nights in a row. The second night's performance was at the Universal Amphitheatre and as a seller the night before had said, the prices were slightly higher.

The House of Blues' website (www.hob.com) was instrumental in providing much of this information.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.