compiled overview of the 30ton UrbanMech 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Called upon to produce an effective light 'Mech for city fighting, Orguss Industries replied with the UrbanMech. Cheap to produce but potent in its assigned duties, the 'Mech was manufactured in large quantities. Many have survived into the present era. Now common in city garrisons and defense units, the UrbanMech continues as an effective battle weapon.

The Imperator-B autocannon is the UrbanMech's primary weapon. With its low heat buildup and reliable design, the weapon suited the UrbanMech's hit and run fighting style. The light laser that supports the Imperator is only marginally effective, but is useful in persuading hostile infantry to keep their heads down.

The UrbanMech was used by the Star League to suppress urban guerrillas and hostile light 'Mechs in heavily populated areas. With its comparatively heavy armor, the 'Mech could withstand combat with others of similar or higher tonnage. Though not intended to engage in slugging matches with Marauders or Crusaders, the UrbanMech often found itself facing off against such vastly superior opponents in the thick of city fighting.

Standard tactics consisted of an UrbanMech lance splitting up into individual units that used buildings as cover for sniping at enemies. Then the units would fall back to regroup along the next line of defense.

Though the UrbanMech's low speed handicapped it, the confining spaces of Star League cities also reduced the mobility of other, heavier 'Mechs. The UrbanMech's Durallex medium armor provides considerable protection, and its low, stocky profile help protect it from enemy fire.

In the present era, House Liao maintains a relatively large number of UrbanMechs, deploying them in the fortified cities along its frontiers, where they have encountered both Davion and Marik forces.

During a recent border clash, several regiments of the Marik's Regulan Hussars were sent on a parts raid against Liao storehouses on Carver V, where the city of Fort Lyons held a sizeable stock of 'Mech components that were defended by the urban defense regiments of the Chesterton Reserves, including several UrbanMechs. Commanding Fort Lyons' defense, Regimental Colonel Teresa Keed deployed her UrbanMechs as the city's first line of defense. The UrbanMech's confronted a Marik Marauder company as it moved into the city.

Supported by smaller armored vehicles and infantry, the Liao UrbanMechs used classic tactics, engaging the Marauders with pop-up fire, then vanishing among the buildings. The Marik Marauders wound up with a major fight on their hands, and the assault bogged down as they stopped to engage the Liao defenders. The Marik attackers eventually pushed the Liao forces back, but sustained losses that greatly lessened their effectiveness. When Liao reserves finally arrived, the Marik Marauders were forced to withdraw with only a fraction of the booty they had anticipated.

Another recent example illustrates the UrbanMech's weaknesses. When a Bandit raid on Angell II caught Marik defenders by surprise, garrison commander Major Alan Roberts was forced to deploy the Marik Militia's UrbanMechs in open country to stave off the Bandits' attacks. Though the Marik pilots fought bravely, the Bandit 'Mechs blasted them to pieces with concentrated long range missile fire. Roberts took a severe reprimand for this misuse of his UrbanMechs, but he did not have many other options as commander of an urban defense unit lacking heavy 'Mech support. The defense may have been doomed to failure, but Major Roberts was able to buy enough time so that civilians and key Marik officials were able to escape before the Bandits could take them.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.