Val"ance (?), n. [Perhaps fr. OF. avalant descending, hanging down, p. pr. of avaler to go down, let down, descent (cf. Avalanche); but probably from the town of Valence in France.]


Hanging drapery for a bed, couch, window, or the like, especially that which hangs around a bedstead, from the bed to the floor.

[Written also valence.]

Valance of Venice gold in needlework. Shak.


The drooping edging of the lid of a trunk. which covers the joint when the lid is closed.


© Webster 1913.

Val"ance, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Valanced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Valancing (?).]

To furnish with a valance; to decorate with hangings or drapery.

His old fringed chair valanced around with party-colored worsted bobs. Sterne.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.