I'm in the good movie camp on this one.

You see, yes, the characters acted amorally, but there was a lesson as well. Everything that happened could have been avoided, but the situation got out of control. The over the top nature of what happened was a logical side effect of the characters' actions. As a black comedy, it explored the limits of human emotion and actions.

It was also an incredibly funny movie, while being simultaneously deeply disturbing. Movies don't have to be all happy and in line with your morality for them to be good and enjoyable or rewarding. Schindler's List was a good movie and I certainly didn't think the Holocaust was a good idea. Art should challenge you and make you a little uncomfortable This movie certainly does that. After seeing it I realized mostof the people who didn't like it probably didn't like it because it made them feel icky.

I think I'm going to show it at the next bachelor party I host.

Very Bad Things (1998)
Director - Peter Berg

Main Cast:
Jon Favreau as Kyle Fischer
Cameron Diaz as Laura Garrety
Christian Slater as Robert Boyd
Daniel Stern as Adam Berkow
Jeremy Piven as Michael Berkow
Leland Orser as Moore
Jeanne Tripplehorn as Lois Berkow

In this dark comedy, Peter Berg's directorial debut, Kyle Fischer and Laura Garrety are about to get married, but not before Kyle heads to Las Vegas with four of his friends for the bachelor party from hell. After Micheal accidentally kills the stripper/prostitute, the boys decide not to call the police, but to bury her out in the desert instead. Of course, nothing goes as planned and the bodies keep piling up. I think anything else I tell you may be a spoiler, so I'll stop there.

This is one of the movies that I've noticed people are the most divided about. You either love it or you hate it. It's one of my personal favorites, and every time I mention it, people are either like, "Oh my God, you're a sick fuck!" or "I've never seen it." I've met one person who'd seen it and loved it.

Maybe you have to have a certain sense of humor to get it, but I really don't understand how people are grossly disturbed by it, since I sat down my 53 year-old mother and made her watch it and she laughed all the way through it. If it offends your delicate sensibilities, you're not as hardcore as you think you are.

One of the most 'classic' scenes from the movie is the speech that Robert Boyd gives once they have finished burying the bodies in the desert where he makes the claims that: "Our conviction and execution would only mean more death in this case, not less...we have all chosen life over death!" and "Hell is for cowards, for hypocrites, for people who fear to live by the strength of their own convictions!" This movie is disturbing, and I love it because of that.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.