Not only inhabitants of Whoville in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, but also the inhabitants of a small who world on a dandelion in Horton Hears a Who.

*nix command to display information about the current status of the system. With no options, list the names of users currently logged in to the system. An optional system file (which defaults to /var/adm/utmp) can be supplied to give additional information.
whois usually invoked without options, but useful options include am I and -u.

Options:
-a Use all options.
-b Report information about the last reboot.
-d Report expired processes.
-H Print headings.
-l Report inactive terminal lines.
-nx Display x users per line (works only with -q).
-p Report previously spawned processes.
-q "Quick." Display only the usernames.
-r Report the run level.
-s List the name, line, and time fields (the default behavior).
-t Report the last change of the system clock (via date).
-T Report whether terminals are writable (+), not writable (-), or unknown (?).
-u Report terminal usage (idle time). A dot (.) means less than one minute idle; old means more than 24 hours idle.
am i Print the username of the invoking user.

Who (?), pron. [Possess. whose (?); object. Whom (?).] [OE. who, wha, AS. hwa, interrogative pron., neut. hwaet; akin to OFries. hwa, neut. hwet, OS. hw&emac;, neut. hwat, D. wie, neut. wat, G. wer, neut.was, OHG. wer, hwer, neut. waz, hwaz, Icel. hvat, neut., Dan. hvo, neut. hvad, Sw. ho, hvem, neut. hvad, Goth. hwas, fem. hw&omac;, neut. hwa, Lith. kas, Ir. & Gael. co, W. pwy, L. quod, neuter of qui, Gr. po`teros whether, Skr. kas. Cf. How, Quantity, Quorum, Quote, Ubiquity, What, When, Where, Whether, Which, Whither, Whom, Why.]

1.

Originally, an interrogative pronoun, later, a relative pronoun also; -- used always substantively, and either as singular or plural. See the Note under What, pron., 1. As interrogative pronouns, who and whom ask the question: What or which person or persons? Who and whom, as relative pronouns (in the sense of that), are properly used of persons (corresponding to which, as applied to things), but are sometimes, less properly and now rarely, used of animals, plants, etc. Who and whom, as compound relatives, are also used especially of persons, meaning the person that; the persons that; the one that; whosoever.

"Let who will be President."

Macaulay.

[He] should not tell whose children they were. Chaucer.

There thou tell'st of kings, and who aspire; Who fall, who rise, who triumph, who do moan. Daniel.

Adders who with cloven tongues Do hiss into madness. Shak.

Whom I could pity thus forlorn. Milton.

How hard is our fate, who serve in the state. Addison.

Who cheapens life, abates the fear of death. Young.

The brace of large greyhounds, who were the companions of his sports. Sir W. Scott.

2.

One; any; one.

[Obs., except in the archaic phrase, as who should say.]

As who should say, it were a very dangerous matter if a man in any point should be found wiser than his forefathers were. Robynson (More's Utopia).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.