The worlds largest private contractor of correctional officers and security guards ( not at the rent-a-cop mall level). Wackenhut maintains about 40,000 beds in prisons in 11 countries. Wackenhut was founded by George Wackenhut, an ex-director at the CIA, and its board of directors includes several government officials from various executive branch posts.

According to some conspiracy theories, Wackenhut also does odd jobs for the New World Order. This can be anything from providing security guards for Area 51, to wet work in Central America, to development of biological weaponry on California Indian reservations.

Not-so-affectionately referred to as "Wackenbutt."

Wackenhut, they say (er, conspiracy theorists), guards nearly all the most strategic government facilities in the U.S., including the Alaskan oil pipeline, the Hanford nuclear-waste facility, the Savannah River plutonium plant, and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. Some believe that the CIA has its collective arm very far up Wackenut Corp.'s ass. Apparently Admiral Bobby Ray Inman was a member of the board of directors.

Actually, the Wackenhut Corporation is one of two corporations. It provides PI services, security guard services, security consulting, security guard/fire/emergency training, and electronic security systems. The Wackenhut Corrections Corporation provides prison management services and stuph. I know much more but have to keep it to myself, though I certainly don't work for them.

George Wackenhut, a hardcore right-wing dude, referred to George Bush as "that pinko."

The online store at wackenhut.com sells items ranging from travel mugs to complete video surveillance systems. I'm intrigued by the idea of carrying their Personal Alarm into job interviews and setting it off (high-pitched electronic scream and strobe light) when the interviewer tells an obvious falsehood about the company. ("We've found that the employees like having shorter lunch breaks." WHEEP! WHEEP! WHEEP!)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.