Yes, believe it or not, there is a way to walk cats. You shouldn't let them roam outside, especially if they're not spayed or if they're declawed.

You'll need an adjustable cat harness, which ranges from about $7.00-$9.00. Also, a cat lead, which costs about $7.00.

After your cat has all of its manditory vaccinations, start this process. At first, don't even try to fit this around the cat. Keep it next to the food dish or treat it as a toy, so the cat gets familiar with it. Do this until it feels at ease around the harness

Next, pick up the cat and stroke it with the harness gently until it becomes familiar with the feel of it on its body. Reward the cat with a treat each time.

Next, but the harness gently on your kitten. Take your time, and if your furry friend gets nervous, end the session. Do not tighten the harness once you have it on. Reward the kitten with a treat.
My favorite thing to do is give them meat-flavored baby food on the end of the spoon. Not only does the kitten like this, but it will take a considerably long time for it to finish this, which means the harness will stay on longer.

Do not move on until the kitten feels safe and secure in the harness.

Increase the time that the harness stays on, up to 20 minutes, or however long you will take your kitten on a walk for.

Once your kitten can do this, clip a leash onto the end. Encourage it to walk around the room. Use a toy to encourage if needed. Don't let go, as the leash could get caught on something and it could injure the cat. Keep the leash lose. Do this until the kitten can be on the leash, feeling secure, for the length of time that you would walk it outside.

Gradually imcrease leash tension. DO NOT pull or yank the kitten around. You aren't teaching it to heel. It isn't a cocker spaniel. Just make sure your kitten learns who's boss on the leash.

Try to do this once each day until your kitten is used to the feeling of the leash and the tension you apply. If the kitten becomes worried or resistent, end the session immediately. Each time a session is completed, give the kitten a treat.

Take it into a secluded, quiet yard with no one else or nothing around to harm, scare, or worry the kitten. Minimize leash tension and let the kitten investigate. Gradually increase the time you spend out time, and reward the kitten with a treat.

You can now walk your cat. Stay away from places with too many cars, as kitten will shoot away at the first sound of one. You can stick to your quiet yard if you'd like. Never force your kitten outside and never let go of the leash. Keep treats with you and reward your cats throughout the procedure. Don't take your cat out in bad weather, because it could get stressed out.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.