Dutch cookie, named after the North-Netherlands town from whence they came.
Related to Japanese tea ceremony sweets, as fun to make as they're easy to eat.

4 oz. almond paste by weight
1 egg yolk (from large egg), beaten
sugar to roll cookies

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F .

Cut small pieces of almond paste and place in a bowl. Add half the egg yolk. Knead with your fingers until it is a smooth mixture. Make sure there are no lumps anymore. Add the rest of the egg yolk.

Form a long roll of the dough with a diameter of about 1 inch .

Sprinkle a work surface with sugar. Roll the roll in sugar, cut it in slices, about three quarters of an inch thick. Sprinkle the top and bottom of the slices in sugar.
Place the slices on a lined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes , until the edges are golden brown .

Makes 15 to 20 cookies.

Sharp-eyed cooks will consider this an opportune time to employ creativity: colored/flavored sugars? An almond in the center of each? using Japanese an dough? I leave this to the World. In any case, the kind of cookie that makes it worth keeping some almond paste around, since they're pretty much Instant Cookies, use no flour, and will amaze your friends.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.